Landslide Motion Forecasting by a Dynamic Visco-Plastic Model
To model the evolution with time of the Bindo-Cortenova translational landslide (Italian Prealps, Lombardy, Italy), a 1D pseudo-dynamic visco-plastic approach, based on Perzyna’s theory, has been conceived. The viscous nucleus has been assumed to be bi-linear: in one case, irreversible deformations develop uniquely for positive yield function values; in a more general case, visco-plastic deformations develop even for negative values. The model has been calibrated and subsequently validated on a long temporal series of monitoring data and it seems quite reliable in simulating the in situ data.
KeywordsVisco-plasticity Delayed plasticity Dynamic model Landslide Movement prediction
This work was partially funded by the MORFEO-Italian Space Agency (ASI) project, within the Natural and Human Related Activities Induced Risks Program. The authors are also grateful to the Administration of the Municipality of Cortenova and of the Comunità Montana della Valsassina, Valvarrone, d’Esino e Riviera.
- Butterfield R (2000) A dynamic model of shallow slope motion driven by fluctuating groundwater levels. In: Proceedings of the 8th international symposium on landslides, vol 1. Thomas Telford, London, pp 203–208Google Scholar
- di Prisco C, Zambelli C (2003) Cyclic and dynamic mechanical behaviour of granular soils: experimental evidence and constitutive modelling. Rev Franç de Genie Civil 7(7–8):881–910Google Scholar
- Frigerio G (2010) Evoluzione di movimenti franosi lenti: interpretazione dei dati mediante modellazione numerica semplificata. Master thesis (in Italian), Politecnico di MilanoGoogle Scholar
- Gottardi G, Butterfield R (2001) Modelling ten years of downhill creep data. In: Proceedings of the 15th international conference on soil mechanics and geotechnical engineering, Istanbul, 27–31 Aug 2001, pp 1–3Google Scholar
- Perzyna P (1963) The constitutive equations for rate sensitive plastic materials. Q Appl Math 20:321–332Google Scholar
- Secondi M, Crosta GB, di Prisco C, Frigerio G, Frattini P, Agliardi F (2011) Forecasting landslide motion by a dynamic elasto-visco-plastic model. Geophysical research abstract 13, EGU2011-13850, European Hazards Session NH3.8, Wien, 3–8 Apr 2011Google Scholar