DWT Based-Approach for Color Image Compression Using Genetic Algorithm
This paper describes a color image compression technique based on Discrete Wavelet Transform (DWT) and Genetic Algorithm (GA). High degree of correlation between the RGB planes of a color image is reduced by transforming them to more suitable space by using the GA. This GA would enable us to find T1T2T3 representation, in which T1 energy is more maximized than that of T2 and T3.
The result of the proposed method is compared with previous similar published methods and the former is found superior in terms of quality of the reconstructed image.
Further, proposed method is efficient in compression ability and fast in implementation.
KeywordsColor image compression Color space Discrete wavelet transform Arithmetic encoder Two-role encoder Genetic algorithm
- 1.Khalid, S.: Introduction to data compression. Elsevier, San Francisco (2006)Google Scholar
- 6.Varun, S., Vinod, K.: Coding of DWT coefficients using Run-length coding and Huffman coding for the purpose of color image compression. World Academy of Science, Engineering and Technology 62, 696–699 (2012)Google Scholar
- 7.Bhardwaj, A., Ali, R.: Image compression using modified fast haar wavelet transform. World Applied Sciences Journal 7, 647–653 (2009)Google Scholar
- 8.Elharar, E., Stren, A., Hadar, O., Jvidi, B.: A Hybrid compression method for integral images using discrete wavelet transform and discrete cosine transform. Journal of Display Technology 5, 1–5 (2007)Google Scholar
- 9.Piotr, P., Agnieszka, L.: The haar wavelet transform in digital image processing: Its status and achievements. Machine Graphics and Vision 13, 79–98 (2004)Google Scholar
- 10.RajKumar, T.M.P., Mrityunjaya Latte, V.: Performance evolution of various wavelet families in spiht image compression technique. European Journal of Scientific Research 59, 14–21 (2011)Google Scholar
- 11.Ghamisi, P., Santha devi, P., Phil, M.: Efficient wavelet based image compression technique for wireless communication. International Journal of Innovative Technology and Creative Engineering 1, 53–59 (2011)Google Scholar
- 13.Holland, J.H.: Adaptation in natural and artificial systems. University of Michigan Press, Ann Arbor (1975)Google Scholar
- 15.Chakrapani, Y., Soundara Rajan, K.: Genetic algorithm applied to fractal image compression. ARPN Journal of Engineering and Applied Sciences 4, 53–58 (2009)Google Scholar
- 18.Chan, K.Y., Stich, D., Voth, A.G.: Real-time image compression for high-speed particle tracking. Review of Scientific Instruments 78 (2007)Google Scholar
- 19.Andrew, C., Peter, F., Hartmut, P., Carlos, F.: Genetic Algorithm TOOLBOX For Use with MATLAB, Version 1.2 Users Guide, http://www.shef.ac.uk/acse/research/ecrg/gat.html