The Numerical Modelling of the Heat Transfer Processes within Neonate’s Body Based on the Simplified Geometric Model
The perinatal hypoxic-ischemic encephalopathy is a common problem which neonatologists have to cope with the therapeutic mild hypothermia of the infant’s brain. In order to perform the treatment properly a distribution of the temperature inside the neonatal head have to be known. Therefore in this paper the attempt to the numerical simulations of the heat transfer within the infant’s body was made. During analysis two steps were performed. Within the first approach the heat transfer inside the healthy newborn was analyzed. During the second approach the heat transfer in the neonate suffering from hypothermia was simulated. Owing to uncertainty of some parameters the sensitive analysis was also made. The results of the numerical computations were compared with the data obtained from neonatologists and were consulted with them. Despite adopted simplifications the performed analysis enabled us to obtain valuable results from technical and scientific point of view.
Keywordsnumerical modelling bioheat transfer neonate newborn
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Berger, S.A., Goldsmith, W., Lewis, E.R.: Introduction to Bioengineering, New York, Oxford (2004)Google Scholar
- 2.Fiala, D.: Dynamic Simulation of Human Heat Transfer and Thermal Comfort. Institute of Energy and Sustainable Development. De Montfort Univerity Leicester (1998)Google Scholar
- 4.Ansys Fluent 12.1 in Workbench User’s Guide, ANSYS, Inc. (2009)Google Scholar
- 7.Van Leeuwen, G.M.J., Hand, J.W., Lagendijk, J.J.W., Azzopardi, D.V., Edwards, A.D.: Numerical Modeling of Temperature Distributions within the Neonatal Head. Pediatric Research 48(3) (2000)Google Scholar
- 8.Walas, W.: Hipotermia glowy - szansa dla noworodków z ciężkim niedotlenieniem okoloporodowym. Wcm. Opole. Pl 23, 5–10 (2010)Google Scholar
- 10.Mączko, A.: Private information, Medical Centre in Opole. Department for Children Intensive TherapyGoogle Scholar