Application of Virtual Gate for Counting People Participating in Large Public Events
The concept and practical application of the developed algorithm for people counting in crowded scene is presented. The aim of the work is to estimate the number of people passing towards entrances of a large sport hall. The details of implemented the Virtual Gate algorithm are presented. The video signal from the camera installed in the building constituted the input for the algorithm. The most challenging problem was the unpredicted behavior of people while entering the building. A series of experiments during real sport events and concerts was made. The case of improved organization of people passing is described and the influence on the counting results is shown. The results of the studies are shown and achieved outcomes are discussed.
Keywordscrowd behavior image processing crowd counting
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Mollen, M.: A Failure of Responsibility - Report to Mayor David N. Dinkins on the December 28, 1991 Tragedy at City College of New York (January 1992) Google Scholar
- 2.Mathews, E., Poigne, A.: Evaluation of a “Smart” Pedestrian Counting System Based on Echo State Networks. EURASIP Journal on Embedded Systems, Article ID 352172, 1–9 (2009)Google Scholar
- 4.Yang, D.B., Gonzalez-Banos, H.H., Guibas, L.J.: Counting People in Crowds with a Real-Time Network of Simple Image Sensors. In: Proc. of the Ninth IEEE International Conference on Computer Vision (2003)Google Scholar
- 5.Ge, W., Collins, R.T.: Marked point processes for crowd counting. In: Proc. CVPR, pp. 2913–2920 (2009)Google Scholar
- 6.Laser Measurement Technology LD-PeCo-5.5, https://www.mysick.com/PDF/Create.aspx?ProductID=33787&Culture=en-US (access February 2, 2012)
- 7.Honeywell, People Counter, http://www.honeywellvideo.com/products/ias/va/160978.html (access February 2, 2012)
- 8.Peco modules – VisualTools, http://www.visual-tools.com/en/products/video-analysis-people-counting-and-pos-control/peco-units/documentation (access February 2, 2012)
- 9.Video Turnstile, People counting systems, http://videoturnstile.com/counting.html (access February 2, 2012)
- 10.Krawczyk, H., Proficz, J.: The task graph assignment for KASKADA platform. In: Proc. 5th International Conference on Software and Data Technologies, July 22-24 (2010)Google Scholar