Autonomic Management of Mobile and Wireless Networks
Autonomic management is receiving intense interest from academia and industry, aiming to simplify and automate network management operations. Autonomic management or self-management capabilities aim to vanish inside devices, relieving both managers and users from tedious configuration and troubleshooting procedures. Ideally, self-managed devices integrate self-configuration, self-optimization, self-protection and self-healing capabilities. When combined, these capabilities can lead to adaptive and ultimately self-maintained autonomic systems.
Keywordsautonomics policy-based self-management network management
- 3.Charalambides, M., et al.: Dynamic Policy Analysis and Conflict Resolution for DiffServ Quality of Service Management. In: 10th IEEE/IFIP Network Operations and Management Symposium, NOMS 2006, pp. 294–304. IEEE (2006)Google Scholar
- 4.Clemm, A.: Network Management Fundamentals. Cisco Press (2006)Google Scholar
- 6.Hadjiantonis, A.M., Pavlou, G.: Policy-Based Self-Management in Wireless Networks. In: Context-Aware Computing and Self-Managing Systems, pp. 201–272. CRC Press (2009)Google Scholar
- 7.Hadjiantonis, A.M., Pavlou, G.: Policy-based self-management of wireless ad hoc networks. In: IFIP/IEEE International Symposium on Integrated Network Management, IM 2009, pp. 796–802 (2009)Google Scholar
- 9.Mortier, R., Kiciman, E.: Autonomic network management: some pragmatic considerations. In: ACM Proc. 2006 SIGCOMM Workshop on Internet Network Management, INM 2006, Pisa, pp. 89–93 (2006)Google Scholar
- 11.Pavlou, G., Hadjiantonis, A.M., Malatras, A. (eds): D9.1:Frameworks and Approaches for Autonomic Management of Fixed QoS-enabled and Ad Hoc Networks. EMANICS Network of Excellence, Deliverable (2006), http://www.emanics.org
- 13.Strassner, J.: Policy-Based Network Management: Solutions for the Next Generation. Morgan Kaufmann (2003)Google Scholar
- 14.Strassner, J., Raymer, D.: Implementing Next Generation Services Using Policy-Based Management and Autonomic Computing Principles. In: 10th IEEE/IFIP Network Operations and Management Symposium, NOMS 2006, pp. 1–15 (2006)Google Scholar
- 15.Verma, D.: Policy-Based Networking: Architecture and Algorithms. Sams (2000)Google Scholar
- 17.3GPP specification: 23.203 Policy and charging control architecture, http://www.3gpp.org/ftp/Specs/html-info/23203.htm
- 18.3GPP specification: 32.500 Telecommunication management; Self-Organizing Networks (SON); Concepts and requirements, http://www.3gpp.org/ftp/Specs/html-info/32500.htm
- 19.3GPP specification: 32.541 Telecommunication management; Self-Organizing Networks (SON); Self-healing concepts and requirements, http://www.3gpp.org/ftp/Specs/html-info/32541.htm
Open Access This chapter is licensed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5 International License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/2.5/), which permits any noncommercial use, sharing, adaptation, distribution and reproduction in any medium or format, as long as you give appropriate credit to the original author(s) and the source, provide a link to the Creative Commons license and indicate if changes were made.
The images or other third party material in this chapter are included in the chapter’s Creative Commons license, unless indicated otherwise in a credit line to the material. If material is not included in the chapter's Creative Commons license and your intended use is not permitted by statutory regulation or exceeds the permitted use, you will need to obtain permission directly from the copyright holder.