Internet Governance and Economics of Network Neutrality
This section deals with the network neutrality debate to define the economic relationships between Internet access providers and (distant) content providers. We review the various definitions of what should be a neutral network, the outcome of all international consultations on the topic, and the arguments of network neutrality proponents and opponents.
KeywordsNetwork neutrality Regulation Content providers
- 1.ARCEP: Neutralité de l’internet et des réseaux: propositions et orientations (2010), http://www.arcep.fr/uploads/tx_gspublication/net-neutralite-orientations-sept2010.pdf
- 2.Commission of the European Communities: Telecom reform 2009: Commission declaration on net neutrality. Official Journal of the European Communities L337 (2009) Google Scholar
- 3.Federal Communications Commission: Appropriate framework for broadband access to the Internet over wire-line facilities. FCC 05-151, CC Docket No. 02-33 (September 23, 2005) Google Scholar
- 4.Federal Communications Commission: Notice of proposed rulemaking. FCC 09-93 (October 2009) Google Scholar
- 5.Federal Communications Commission: Order in the matter of preserving the open internet, broadband industry practices. FCC (April 2010) Google Scholar
- 6.Lemley, M., Lessig, L.: The end of end-to-end: Preserving the architecture of the internet in the broadband era. 48 UCLA Law Review 4 (2001)Google Scholar
- 7.Lenard, T., May, R.E. (eds.): Net Neutrality or Net Neutering: Should Broadband Internet Services be Regulated? Springer (2006)Google Scholar
- 9.Talluri, K., van Ryzin, G.: The Theory and Practice of Revenue Management. Springer (2004)Google Scholar
- 10.Wong, S., Rojas-Mora, J., Altman, E.: Public consultations on Net Neutrality 2010: USA, EU and France. Tech. rep., SSRN (2010), http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=1684086
- 11.Wu, T.: Network neutrality, broadband discrimination. Journal of Telecommunications and High Technology 2, 141–179 (2003)Google Scholar
- 12.Wu, T.: The broadband debate: A user’s guide. Journal of Telecommunications and High Technology 3, 69–96 (2004)Google Scholar
- 13.Zelnik, P., Toubon, J., Cerutti, G.: Création et internet. Ministère de la Culture et de la Communication, République Française (2010), http://www.culture.gouv.fr/mcc/Espace-Presse/Dossiers-de-presse/
Open Access This chapter is licensed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5 International License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/2.5/), which permits any noncommercial use, sharing, adaptation, distribution and reproduction in any medium or format, as long as you give appropriate credit to the original author(s) and the source, provide a link to the Creative Commons license and indicate if changes were made.
The images or other third party material in this chapter are included in the chapter’s Creative Commons license, unless indicated otherwise in a credit line to the material. If material is not included in the chapter's Creative Commons license and your intended use is not permitted by statutory regulation or exceeds the permitted use, you will need to obtain permission directly from the copyright holder.