Enabling Multimode Wireless Access Networks Using Remote Radio Heads
The deployment of 4G networks is spreading rapidly providing mobile broadband services to the public. 4G technologies are designed to overlay existing 3G networks enabling reusability of several network components. In this way, the coexistence of 3G/4G standards is facilitated. This paper describes the advantages of using distributed base station architectures to provide multimode capabilities. In particular, it focuses on the radio unit, commonly known in industry as remote radio head. Multimode radio units capable of operating according to different wireless standards (WCDMA, LTE and WiMAX) can be proven extremely beneficial for operators especially in terms of operational and maintenance cost. Moreover, remote radio heads can enable effective spectrum management and allocation of radio resources. This is achieved through the advanced software configurability they provide and a flexible control and management plane. Switching between wireless standards becomes easily feasible through firmware upgrading. Finally, real-time configuration of radio functionalities, such as transmit power, receiver gain, carrier frequency, channel bandwidth and others result in a modular software defined radio platform.
Keywordssoftware defined radio multimode radio optical fibre 4G communication WiMAX LTE
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Gomes, N.J., Alphones, M.M.A., Cabon, B., Mitchell, J.E., Lethien, C., Csörnyei, M., Stöhr, A., Iezekiel, S.: Radio- over-fibre transport for the support of wireless broadband services. Journal of Optical Networking 8(2) (February 2009)Google Scholar
- 2.Kardaras, G., Lanzani, C.: Advanced multimode radio for wireless and broadband communication. In: IEEE European Wireless Technology Conference, pp.132–135 (2009)Google Scholar
- 3.Strasser, M.: FTTA Fibre-to-The-Antenna - Technology Change in Mobile Communications, HUBER+SUHNER Switzerland Whitepaper, http://www.hubersuhner.com
- 4.Arranz, M.: Head of 2G Product, The Vodafone Commitment on Energy, Nokia World Event (December 2008), http://events.nokia.com/nokiaworld08/assets/pdf/Miguel_Arranz.pdf
- 5.Alcatel-Lucent Corporation, Eco-sustainable wireless solutions (2009), http://www.alcatel-lucent.com
- 6.Rigby, L., Boppana, D.: Simplifying Simultaneous Multimode RRH Design” ALTERA Whitepaper (2009), http://www.altera.com/literature/wp/wp-01097-arria-ii-gx-multimode-rrh.pdf
- 7.Open Base Station Architecture Initiative (OBSAI) specifications, www.obsai.com
- 8.Common Public Radio Interface (CPRI) specifications, www.cpri.info