A G.984 GPON Exhibiting Multi-wavelength Protocol Functionalities
- 688 Downloads
A Gigabit Passive Optical Network (GPON) upstream-map frame- format enhancement has been developed to accommodate dynamic multi wavelength (DMW) transmission over splitter-based GPONs. Accordingly network functionality has been supported by means of an algorithm, managing bandwidth allocation among utilised wavelengths in a dynamic two dimensional protocol. Modelling of the performance characteristics of the DMW-GPON topology in OPNET has demonstrated a minimum of 100 Mbit/s bandwidth provision for each of 32 Optical Network Units (ONUs) with a maximum 0.085 s packet delay for the worst performing lower service level agreement (SLA) ONUs.
KeywordsDBA DWA WDM GPON DMW
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.ITU-T.: G.984.2 Gigabit-capable Passive Optical Networks (G-PON): Physical media dependent (PMD) layer specification, ITU-T (2003) Google Scholar
- 2.ITU-T.: G.984.5 Enhancement band for gigabit capable optical access networks, ITU-T (2007) Google Scholar
- 3.Gliwan, A., Chang, C.H., Shachaf, Y., Kourtessis, P., Senior, J.M.: Upstream Format Map Enhancements for Multi-Wavelength GPONs. In: 13th European Conference on Networks and Optical Communications (NOC), Krems, Austria, pp. 75–82 (2008)Google Scholar
- 4.Chang, C.H., Kourtessis, P., Senior, J.M.: GPON service level agreement based dynamic bandwidth assignment protocol. IET Electronics Letters, 1173–1174 (2006)Google Scholar
- 5.Chang, C.H., Alvarez, N.M., Kourtessis, P., Lorenzo, R.M., Senior, J.M.: Full-Service MAC Protocol for Metro-Reach GPONs. Journal of Lightwave Technology, 1016–1022 (2010)Google Scholar
- 6.Super-Fast Cable Broadband, http://www.virginmedia.com
- 7.ITU-T.: G.1010 End-user multimedia QoS categories, ITU-T (2001) Google Scholar