Colour and Texture Feature Based Hybrid Approach for Image Retrieval
The Content Based Image Retrieval (CBIR) is a technique that works on images and in response extracts relevant images. A novel hybrid two stage universal CBIR technique using both colour and texture features extraction is proposed in this paper. In the first stage for colour feature extraction, colour moments up to the fourth order are extracted and are used in deriving the respective histograms which forms the colour feature vector. In the second stage for the texture feature extraction the CCM (Colour Co-occurrence Matrix) technique employed takes into account the correlation between the RGB colour bands in all the eight directions while computing the texture features. In every stage the distance between the query image and the image in the database is calculated by using relative distance measure. The resultant distance between the query image and the image in the database is calculated by using a weighted distance classifier. Thus, a hybrid fusion method is achieved that has better performance than other colour-spatial based methods and promises to give more relevant output to the user.
KeywordsCBIR local statistics histograms Skew Kurtosis CCM
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Wang, J., Wiederhold, G.: SIMPLTcity: semantics sensitive integrated matching for picture libraries. IEEE Trans. on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence 23(8), 1–17 (2001)Google Scholar
- 4.Strick, M., Orengo, M.: Similarity of colour images. In: Proc. of the SPIE2420. Storage and Retrieval for Image and Video Database III, San Jose, USA, pp. 381–392 (1995)Google Scholar
- 5.Pass, G., Zabih, R.: Histogram refinement for content-based image retrieval. In: Proc. of the 3rd IEEE Workshop on Applications of Computer Vision, Sarasota, pp. 96–102 (1996)Google Scholar
- 6.Huang: Image indexing using colour correlograms. In: Proc. of the IEEE Computer Society Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition, San Juan, pp. 762–168 (1997)Google Scholar
- 7.Rao, R.S., Zhang, Z.: Spatial colour histograms for content-based image retrieval. In: 11th IEEE International Conference on Tools With Artificial Intelligence (1999)Google Scholar
- 8.Cinque, S.L., Olsen, K., Pellicano, A.: Colour-based image retrieval using spatial-chromatic histograms. In: IEEE International Conference on Multimedia Computing and System, vol. 2, pp. 969–913 (1999)Google Scholar
- 9.Lim, S., Lu, G.: Spatial statistics for content based image retrieval. In: IEEE International Conference on Information Technology: Computers and Communications (2003)Google Scholar
- 10.Huang, C.B., Yu, S.-S., Zhou, J.-L., Lu, H.-W.: Image Retrieval Using Both Color and Local Spatial Feature Histograms. IEEE (2004)Google Scholar
- 11.Kong, F.-H.: Image Retrieval using both Color and Texture features. In: Proceedings of the Eighth International Conference on Machine Learning and Cybernetics, Baoding, July 12-15 (2009)Google Scholar
- 13.Singhai, N., Shandilya, S.K.: A Survey On: Content Based Image Retrieval Systems. International Journal of Computer Applications (0975 - 8887) 4(2) (July 2010)Google Scholar