Conceptual Architectural Design of Indian Railway Intelligent Transportation Systems
Modification of railway transportation to railway intelligent transportation system (RITS) will not only compete from other modes of transportation but also increase the efficiency and safety. Speedy development of emerging technologies such as communication and computing, intelligent systems, technological development of railway industries can be effectively integrated over existing infrastructures for Indian Railway (IR) to develop and design RITS. This new generation of railway transportation (RITS) will able to meet the challenges of IR vision 2020 and beyond. The use of RITS architecture encourages structured development and integration of intelligent transportation systems (ITS) that lead to maximization of benefits by minimizing redundancies and maximizing capabilities. This paper discusses a conceptual distributed framework for a multi-layered RITS architecture that can be designed for integrating generated information. The paper main focus is conceptual design of RITS in IR network. It also addresses the design issues and challenges in the IR scenario.
KeywordsTransportation System Intelligent Transportation System Railway System Train Operation Train Control
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Planning Commission, Govt. of India, Total Transport System Study, RITES (A Govt. of India Enterprise) (2009)Google Scholar
- 4.Jia, L.-M., Li, P.: The sysetm architecture of Chinese RITS. Proceedings of the Eastern Asia Society for Transportation Studies 5, 1424–1432 (2005)Google Scholar
- 5.Petit, W.A.: Interoperable Positive Train Control: Existing Safety-Critical Architecture. IEEE Vehicular Technology Magazine (December 2009)Google Scholar
- 6.Ditmeyer, S.R.: Network Centric Railway Operation Utilizing Intelligent Railway Systems. Journal of Transportation Law, Logistics and Policy, Third Quarter 77(3) (2010)Google Scholar
- 8.Kumar, A., Gadgil, A., Satapathy, A., Upadhyayula, R., Prabhudesai, S.: Indian Railway IT Interface, Report on Infrastructure Development in Financing, IIM Ahmedabad (2001)Google Scholar
- 9.Li, P., Jia, L.-M., Nie, A.-X.: Study on Railway Intelligent Transportation System Architecture. In: IEEE Proc. Intelligent Transportation Systems, vol. 2, pp. 1478–1481 (December 2003)Google Scholar
- 10.Intelligent Integration of Railway Systems, http://www.integrail.info/