Function-Function Correlated Multi-Label Protein Function Prediction over Interaction Networks
Many previous computational methods for protein function prediction make prediction one function at a time, fundamentally, which is equivalent to assume the functional categories of proteins to be isolated. However, biological processes are highly correlated and usually intertwined together to happen at the same time, therefore it would be beneficial to consider protein function prediction as one indivisible task and treat all the functional categories as an integral and correlated prediction target. By leveraging the function-function correlations, it is expected to achieve improved overall predictive accuracy. To this end, we develop a novel network based protein function prediction approach, under the framework of multi-label classification in machine learning, to utilize the function-function correlations. Besides formulating the function-function correlations in the optimization objective explicitly, we also exploit them as part of the pairwise protein-protein similarities implicitly. The algorithm is built upon the Green’s function over a graph, which not only employs the global topology of a network but also captures its local structural information. We evaluate the proposed approach on Saccharomyces cerevisiae species. The encouraging experimental results demonstrate the effectiveness of the proposed method.
KeywordsProtein Function Prediction Green’s Function Multi-Label Classification Function-Function Correlations
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Chung, F.: Spectral graph theory, vol. (92). American Mathematical Society (1997)Google Scholar
- 5.Ding, C., Simon, H., Jin, R., Li, T.: A learning framework using Green’s function and kernel regularization with application to recommender system. In: Proc. of ACM SIGKDD 2007, pp. 260–269 (2007)Google Scholar
- 15.Pei, P., Zhang, A.: A topological measurement for weighted protein interaction network. In: Proceedings of IEEE Computational Systems Bioinformatics Conference, pp. 268–278 (2005)Google Scholar
- 17.Sharan, R., Ulitsky, I., Shamir, R.: Network-based prediction of protein function. Mol. System Biol. 3(1) (2007)Google Scholar
- 21.Wang, H., Ding, C., Huang, H.: Multi-label classification: Inconsistency and class balanced k-nearest neighbor. In: Twenty-Fourth AAAI Conference on Artificial Intelligence (2010)Google Scholar
- 23.Wang, H., Huang, H., Ding, C.: Image Annotation Using Multi-label Correlated Greens Function. In: Proc. of IEEE ICCV 2009, pp. 2029–2034 (2009)Google Scholar
- 25.Wang, H., Huang, H., Ding, C.: Image annotation using bi-relational graph of images and semantic labels. In: Proc. of IEEE CVPR 2011, pp. 793–800. IEEE (2011)Google Scholar