Hyper-Heuristic Based on Iterated Local Search Driven by Evolutionary Algorithm
This paper proposes an evolutionary-based iterative local search hyper-heuristic approach called Iterated Search Driven by Evolutionary Algorithm Hyper-Heuristic (ISEA). Two versions of this algorithm, ISEA-chesc and ISEA-adaptive, that differ in the re-initialization scheme are presented. The performance of the two algorithms was experimentally evaluated on six hard optimization problems using the HyFlex experimental framework and the algorithms were compared with algorithms that took part in the CHeSC 2011 challenge. Achieved results are very promising, the ISEA-adaptive would take the second place in the competition. It shows how important for good performance of this iterated local search hyper-heuristic is the re-initialization strategy.
Keywordshyper-heuristic optimization evolutionary algorithm
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Burke, E.K., Hyde, M., Kendall, G., Ochoa, G., Özcan, E., Woodward, J.R.: Exploring hyper-heuristic methodologies with GP. Artificial Evolution 1, 177–201 (2009)Google Scholar
- 2.Burke, E.K., Hyde, M., Kendall, G., Ochoa, G., Özcan, E., Woodward, J.R.: A Classification of Hyper-heuristic Approaches. In: Handbook of Metaheuristics. International Series in Operations Research & Management Science, vol. 146, pp. 449–468 (2010)Google Scholar
- 3.Burke, E.K., Curtois, T., Hyde, M.R., Kendall, G., Ochoa, G., Petrovic, S., Vázquez Rodríguez, J.A., Gendreau, M.: Iterated Local Search vs. Hyper-heuristics: Towards General-Purpose Search Algorithms. In: IEEE Congress on Evolutionary Computation CEC 2010, pp. 1–8 (2010)Google Scholar
- 4.Burke, E., Curtois, T., Hyde, M., Ochoa, G., Vazquez-Rodriguez, J.A.: HyFlex: A Benchmark Framework for Cross-domain Heuristic Search, ArXiv e-prints, arXiv:1107.5462v1 (July 2011)Google Scholar
- 7.Kubalik, J.: Solving the Sorting Network Problem Using Iterative Optimization with Evolved Hypermutations. In: Genetic and Evolutionary Computation Conference 2009 (CD-ROM), pp. 301–308. ACM, New York (2009)Google Scholar
- 9.Luke, S.: Essentials of Metaheuristics. Lulu (2009), http://cs.gmu.edu/~sean/book/metaheuristics/
- 10.The results of the first Cross-domain Heuristic Search Challenge, CHeSC (2011), http://www.asap.cs.nott.ac.uk/chesc2011/index.html