Plan Indexing for State-Based Plans
We consider the issue of indexing plans (or rules) in the implementation of BDI languages. In particular we look at the issue of plans which are not triggered by the occurence of specific events. The selection of a plan from such a set represents one of the major bottle-necks in the execution of BDI programs. This bottle-neck is particularly obvious when attempting to use program model checkers to reason about such languages.
This paper describes the problem and examines one possible indexing scheme. It evaluates the scheme experimentally and concludes that it is only of benefit in fairly specific circumstances. It then discusses ways the indexing mechanism could be improved to provide wider benefits.
KeywordsBelief Base Horn Clause Plan Indexing Plan Selection Guard Statement
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Bordini, R.H., Dennis, L.A., Farwer, B., Fisher, M.: Automated Verification of Multi-Agent Programs. In: Proceedings of the 23rd IEEE/ACM International Conference on Automated Software Engineering (ASE), L’Aquila, Italy, pp. 69–78 (September 2008)Google Scholar
- 3.Bordini, R.H., Dennis, L.A., Farwer, B., Fisher, M.: Automated Verification of Multi-Agent Programs. In: Proc. 23rd Int. Conf. Automated Software Engineering (ASE), pp. 69–78. IEEE CS Press (2008)Google Scholar
- 4.Bordini, R.H., Hübner, J.F., Vieira, R.: Jason and the Golden Fleece of Agent-Oriented Programming. In: Bordini, R.H., Dastani, M., Dix, J., El Fallah Seghrouchni, A. (eds.) Multi-Agent Programming: Languages, Platforms and Applications, ch. 1, pp. 3–37. Springer, Heidelberg (2005)Google Scholar
- 6.Dennis, L.A., Farwer, B.: Gwendolen: A BDI Language for Verifiable Agents. In: Löwe, B. (ed.) AISB 2008 Workshop, Logic and the Simulation of Interaction and Reasoning, Aberdeen, AISB (2008)Google Scholar
- 10.Rao, A.S., Georgeff, M.P.: BDI agents: From theory to practice. In: Proceedings of the First International Conference on Multi-Agent Systems (ICMAS), San Francisco, USA, pp. 312–319 (June 1995)Google Scholar
- 11.Sekar, R., Ramakrishnan, I.V., Voronkov, A.: Term Indexing. In: Handbook of Automated Reasoning, vol. 2, pp. 1853–1964. North Holland (2001)Google Scholar