Design of WLAN Patch and UWB Monopole Antenna
- 1.3k Downloads
This paper demonstrates the comparative analysis of the performances of two antenna designs, half wavelength Wireless Local Area Network (WLAN) patch antenna and a broadband Ultra wideband (UWB) monopole antenna. Both the antenna designs have been simulated utilizing the Advanced Design System (ADS) tools. During the investigations, it has been observed that the low profile antenna with its wide impedance bandwidth, quasi-Omni directional radiation pattern and high efficiency is quite promising for the existing communication and surgical instruments. In this work, we have simulated and measured the different essential parameters such as input reflection; voltage standing wave ratio (VSWR), radiation pattern, simulated current distributions and the efficiency of the proposed designs are also presented and analyzed. Measured results were taken using a Vector Network Analyzer (VNA).
KeywordsVoltage standing wave ratio broadband antenna Input reflection low profile Efficiency Impedance bandwidth
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Clarke, R., Karunaratne, R., Schrader, C.: Ultra-Wideband Antenna, EE198B (fall 2004)Google Scholar
- 2.Balanis, C.A.: Antenna Theory, Analysis and Design, 2nd edn. John Wiley & Sons, Inc. (1982) ISBN: 0-471-59268-4Google Scholar
- 3.Agilent Technologies Inc. Advanced Design System (ADS), http://www.agilent.com/find/eesof-ads (viewed (September 9, 2011)
- 4.Ray, K.P.: “Research Article” Design Aspects of Printed Monopole Antennas for Ultra- Wide Band Applications. Hindawi Publishing Corporation (2008)Google Scholar
- 5.Sharkawy, M.H.A., Eldek, A.A., Elsherbeni, A.Z., Smith, C.E.: Design of Wideband Printed Monopole Antenna Using WIPL-D: ACES (April 2004)Google Scholar
- 6.Hamed, M.: Study of multi-band and ultra-wideband antennas 6-8.5 GHz. Master Thesis at Linköping university, LiTH-ITN-PR-07/018—SEGoogle Scholar
- 8.Gandhi, O.P., Lazzi, G., Furse, C.M.: MONOPOLE ANTENNAS Electrical & Computer Engineering Department University of Utah Salt Lake City, UT 84112-9206Google Scholar
- 9.Fundamentals of antenna theory Monopole, Antenna-Theory, http://www.Antenna-Theory.com (visited January 7, 2012)
- 10.Pozar, D.M.: Microwave Engineering, 3rd edn. John Wiley & Sons (2005)Google Scholar