RNA-Seq Analysis of the Transcriptome of Trypanosoma brucei
- 822 Downloads
Four recent publications used next generation sequencing to analyse the transcriptome of Trypanosoma brucei. These have produced a wealth of data that have refined and, to some extent, redefined our concept of the genome. At the same time, they provide a welcome opportunity to re-examine older publications and place them in a post-genomic context.
KeywordsRNA-Seq Spliced leader trapping Digital gene expression
We gratefully acknowledge the financial support of the Swiss National Science Foundation, the Howard Hughes Medical Institute and the Canton of Bern. Annette Macleod, George Cross, Nicolai Siegel and Simon Hänni are thanked for their helpful comments on the manuscript.
- Alsford S, Eckert S, Baker N, Glover L, Sanchez-Flores A, Leung KF, Turner DJ, Field MC, Berriman M, Horn D (2012) High-throughput decoding of antitrypanosomal drug efficacy and resistance. Nature 482(7384):232–236. doi: 10.1038/nature10771Google Scholar
- Ashibe B, Hirai T, Higashi K, Sekimizu K, Motojima K (2007) Dual subcellular localization in the endoplasmic reticulum and peroxisomes and a vital role in protecting against oxidative stress of fatty aldehyde dehydrogenase are achieved by alternative splicing. J Biol Chem 282:20763–20773PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Bütikofer P, Serricchio M (2012) An essential bacterial-type cardiolipin synthase mediates cardiolipin formation in a eukaryote. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA, epub ahead of printGoogle Scholar
- Cliffe LJ, Siegel TN, Marshall M, Cross GA, Sabatini R (2010) Two thymidine hydroxylases differentially regulate the formation of glucosylated DNA at regions flanking polymerase II polycistronic transcription units throughout the genome of Trypanosoma brucei. Nucleic Acids Res 38:3923–3935PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Kolev NG, Franklin JB, Carmi S, Shi H, Michaeli S, Tschudi C (2010) The transcriptome of the human pathogen Trypanosoma brucei at single-nucleotide resolution. PLoS Pathog 6(9):pii: e1001090Google Scholar
- Nilsson D, Gunasekera K, Mani J, Osteras M, Farinelli L, Baerlocher L, Roditi I, Ochsenreiter T (2010) Spliced leader trapping reveals widespread alternative splicing patterns in the highly dynamic transcriptome of Trypanosoma brucei. PLoS Pathog 6(8):pii: e1001037Google Scholar
- Rettig J, Wang Y, Schneider A, Ochsenreiter T (2012) Dual targeting of isoleucyl-tRNA synthetase in Trypanosoma brucei is mediated through alternative trans-splicing. Nucleic Acids Res 4(3):1299–1306Google Scholar
- Rochette A, Raymond F, Ubeda JM, Smith M, Messier N, Boisvert S, Rigault P, Corbeil J, Ouellette M, Papadopoulou B (2008) Genome-wide gene expression profiling analysis of Leishmania major and Leishmania infantum developmental stages reveals substantial differences between the two species. BMC Genomics 9:255PubMedGoogle Scholar