An Experimental Study of Time Scales and Stability in Networked Multi-Robot Systems
This paper considers the effect of network-induced time delays on the stability of distributed controllers for groups of robots. A linear state space model is proposed for analyzing the coupled interaction of the information flow over the network with the dynamics of the robots. It is shown both analytically and experimentally that control gain, network update rate, and communication and control graph topologies are all critical factors determining the stability of the group of robots. Experiments with a group of flying quadrotor robots demonstrate the effect of different control gains for two different control graph topologies.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.McLurkin, J.: Analysis and implementation of distributed algorithms for Multi-Robot systems. Ph.D. thesis, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (2008)Google Scholar
- 4.Cai, Y., Hua, K., Phillips, A.: Leveraging 1-hop neighborhood knowledge for efficient flooding in wireless ad hoc networks. In: Proc. of the Intl. Perf. Comput. and Commun. Conf., Phoenix, AZ, pp. 347–357 (April 2005)Google Scholar
- 5.Julian, B.J., Schwager, M., Angermann, M., Rus, D.: A location-based algorithm for multi-hopping state estimates within a distributed robot team. In: Proc. of the Intl. Conf. on Field and Service Robot., Cambridge, MA (July 2009)Google Scholar
- 6.Franklin, G.F., Powell, J.D., Emami-Naeini, A.: Feedback Control of Dynamical Systems. Addison-Wesley, Reading (1994)Google Scholar
- 7.Brandicky, M.S., Phillips, S.M., Zhang, W.: Stability of networked control systems: Explicit analysis of delay. In: Proc. of the Amer. Control Conf., Chicago, IL, pp. 2352–2357 (June 2000)Google Scholar
- 11.Blondel, V.D., Hendrickx, J.M., Olshevsky, A., Tsitsiklis, J.N.: Convergence in multiagent coordination, consensus, and flocking. In: Proc. of the Joint IEEE Conf. on Decision and Control and Euro. Control Conf., Seville, Spain, pp. 2996–3000 (December 2005)Google Scholar
- 12.Liu, X., Goldsmith, A., Mahal, S.S., Hendrick, J.K.: Effects of communication delay on string stability in vehicle platoons. In: Proc. of IEEE Intell. Transp. Syst. Conf., Oakland, CA, pp. 625–630 (August 2001)Google Scholar
- 14.Schwager, M., Michael, N., Kumar, V., Rus, D.: Time scales and stability in networked multi-robot systems. In: Proc. of the IEEE Intl. Conf. on Robot. and Autom., Shanghai, China (May 2011) (submitted)Google Scholar
- 16.Vicon Motion Systems, Inc., http://www.vicon.com
- 17.Ascending Technologies, GmbH, http://www.asctec.de
- 18.Robot Operating System (ROS), http://www.ros.org