Simultaneous Tracking and Sampling of Dynamic Oceanographic Features with Autonomous Underwater Vehicles and Lagrangian Drifters
Studying ocean processes often requires observations made in a Lagrangian frame of reference, that is, a frame of reference moving with a feature of interest . Often, the only way to understand a process is to acquire measurements at sufficient spatial and temporal resolution within a specific feature while it is evolving. Examples of coastal ocean features whose study requires Lagrangian observations include concentrated patches of microscopic algae (Fig. 1) that are toxic and may have impacts on fisheries, marine life and humans, or a patch of low-oxygen water that may cause marine life mortality depending on its movement and mixing.
KeywordsPitch Angle Autonomous Underwater Vehicle Regional Ocean Modeling System Drifter Speed Patch Center
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.CANON: Controlled, Agile and Novel Observing Network, http://www.mbari.org/canon/
- 3.Lumpkin, R., Pazos, M.: Measuring surface currents with surface velocity program drifters: the instruments, its data and some recent results. In: Lagrangian Analysis and Prediction of Coastal and Ocean Dynamics. Cambridge University Press (2006)Google Scholar
- 4.Fiorelli, E., Leonard, N.E., Member, S., Bhatta, P., Paley, D.A., Member, S., Bachmayer, R., Fratantoni, D.M.: Multi-auv control and adaptive sampling in Monterey Bay. IEEE Journal of Oceanic Engineering, 935–948 (2004)Google Scholar
- 5.Smith, R.N., Pereira, A.A., Chao, Y., Li, P.P., Caron, D.A., Jones, B.H., Sukhatme, G.S.: Autonomous underwater vehicle trajectory design coupled with predictive ocean models: A case study. In: IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation, pp. 4770–4777 (2010)Google Scholar
- 6.Franchi, A., Stegagno, P., Rocco, M.D.D., Oriolo, G.: Distributed target localization and encircling with a multi-robot system. In: Proceedings of the 7th IFAC Symposium on Intelligent Autonomous Vehicles (IAV 2010) (2010)Google Scholar
- 7.McGann, C., Py, F., Rajan, K., Ryan, J.P., Henthorn, R.: Adaptive Control for Autonomous Underwater Vehicles. In: Assoc. for the Advancement of Artificial Intelligence, National Conference (AAAI), Chicago, IL (2008)Google Scholar
- 8.McGann, C., Py, F., Rajan, K., Ryan, J.P., Thomas, H., Henthorn, R., McEwen, R.: Preliminary Results for Model-Based Adaptive Control of an Autonomous Underwater Vehicle. In: Intnl. Symp. on Experimental Robotics (ISER), Athens (2008)Google Scholar
- 9.Py, F., Rajan, K., McGann, C.: A Systematic Agent Framework for Situated Autonomous Systems. In: 9th International Conf. on Autonomous Agents and Multiagent Systems, Toronto, Canada (May 2010)Google Scholar