Automatic Self-calibration of a Full Field-of-View 3D n-Laser Scanner
This paper describes the design, build, automatic self-calibration and evaluation of a 3D Laser sensor using conventional parts. Our goal is to design a system which is an order of magnitude cheaper than commercial systems, with commensurate performance. In this paper we adopt point cloud ‘crispness’ as the measure of system performance that we wish to optimise. Concretely, we apply the information theoretic measure known as Rényi Quadratic Entropy to capture the degree of organisation of a point cloud. By expressing this quantity as a function of key unknown system parameters, we are able to deduce a full calibration of the sensor via an online optimisation. Beyond details on the sensor design itself, we fully describe the end-to-end extrinsic parameter calibration process, the estimation of the clock skews between the four constituent microprocessors and analyse the effect our spatial and temporal calibrations have on point cloud quality.
KeywordsPoint Cloud Gaussian Mixture Model Time Stamp Calibration Parameter Hand Image
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Nuchter, A., Lingemann, K., Hertzberg, J., Surmann, H.: 6D SLAM with approximate data association. In: Proceedings of the 12th International Conference on Advanced Robotics, ICAR 2005, pp. 242–249 (2005)Google Scholar
- 2.Steinhauser, D., Ruepp, O., Burschka, D.: Motion segmentation and scene classification from 3D LIDAR data. In: IEEE Intelligent Vehicles Symposium 2008, pp. 398–403 (2008)Google Scholar
- 3.Harrison, A., Newman, P.: High quality 3D laser ranging under general vehicle motion. In: IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation, ICRA 2008, pp. 7–12 (2008)Google Scholar
- 4.Bosse, M., Zlot, R.: Continuous 3D scan-matching with a spinning 2D laser. In: IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation, ICRA 2009, pp. 4312–4319 (2009)Google Scholar
- 5.Velodyne: HDL-64E manual revision D (April 2008)Google Scholar
- 6.Moon, S., Skelly, P., Towsley, D.: Estimation and removal of clock skew from network delay measurements. In: Proceedings of the Eighteenth Annual Joint Conference of the IEEE Computer and Communications Societies, INFOCOM 1999, vol. 1, pp. 227–234. IEEE (1999)Google Scholar
- 7.Zhang, L., Liu, Z., Xia, C.H.: Clock synchronization algorithms for network measurements. In: Proceedings of the Twenty-First Annual Joint Conference of the IEEE Computer and Communications Societies, INFOCOM 2002, vol. 1, pp. 160–169. IEEE (2002)Google Scholar
- 9.Rényi, A.: On measures of entropy and information. In: Proceedings of the 4th Berkeley Symposium on Mathematics, Statistics and Probability, vol. 1, pp. 547–561 (1961)Google Scholar
- 10.Principe, J., Xu, D.: Information-theoretic learning using renyi’s quadratic entropy. In: Proceedings of the 1st International Workshop on Independent Component Analysis and Signal Separation, Aussois, France (January 1999)Google Scholar