An Integrated Approach to Multi-criteria-Based Health Care Facility Location Planning
Optimal location of health care facilities is critical to the success of health care services. Given its importance, this is an active research topic in health informatics, operational research and GIS. This paper presents an integrated approach to health care facility planning whereby the methods from three research topics are combined. The integrated approach is applied in order to solve preventive health care facility location planning problems. In this approach, a new health accessibility estimation method is developed in order to capture the current characteristics of preventive health care services. Based on this, the preventive health care facility location planning problem is formalized as a multi-criteria facility location model. A new algorithm is proposed in order to solve the model. Experiments on synthetic datasets and on the Alberta breast cancer screening program data are conducted and the results support our analysis.
KeywordsGIS Health Accessibility Estimation Multi-criteria Health Care Facility Location Planning Heuristic Algorithm
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Daskin, M.S., Dean, L.K.: Location of Health Care Facilities. In: Sainfort, F., Brandeau, M., Pierskalla, W. (eds.) Handbook of OR/MS in Health Care: A Handbook of Methods and Applications, pp. 43–76. Kluwer (2004)Google Scholar
- 3.Birkin, M., Clarke, G., Clarke, M., Wilson, A.: Intelligent GIS: Location decisions and strategic planning. Wiley, New York (1996)Google Scholar
- 9.Brabyn, L., Gower, P.: Mapping accessibility to general practitioners. In: Khan, O., Skinner, R. (eds.) Geographic Information Systems and Health Applications, pp. 289–307. Idea Group Publishing, Hershey (2003)Google Scholar
- 10.Weiss, J.E., Greenlick, M.R., Jones, J.F.: Determinants of Medical Care Utilization: The Impact of Spatial Factors. Inquiry 8, 50–57 (1971)Google Scholar
- 13.Joseph, A.E., Phillips, D.R.: Accessibility and Utilization—Geographical Perspectives on Health Care Delivery. Happer & Row Publishers, New York (1984)Google Scholar
- 15.Mehretu, A., Wittick, R.I., Pigozzi, B.W.: Spatial design for basic needs in eastern Upper Volta. The Journal of Development Area 7, 383–394 (1983)Google Scholar