Discovery of Regularities in the Use of Herbs in Traditional Chinese Medicine Prescriptions
Traditional Chinese medicine (TCM) is a discipline with its own distinct methodologies and philosophical principles. The main method of treatment in TCM is to use herb prescriptions. Typically, a number of herbs are combined to form a formula and different formulae are prescribed for different patients. Regularities on the mixture of herbs in the prescriptions are important for both clinical treatment and novel patent medicine development. In this study, we analyze TCM formula data using latent tree (LT) models. Interesting regularities are discovered. Those regularities are of interest to students of TCM as well as pharmaceutical companies that manufacture medicine using Chinese herbs.
KeywordsHerb regularities latent tree model traditional Chinese medicine prescription
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Anonymous: The Inner Canon of Emperor Huang. Chinese Medical Ancient Books Publishing House, Beijing (2003)Google Scholar
- 2.Tang, J.L., Liu, B.Y., Ma, K.W.: Traditional chinese medicine. Lancet 372 (2008)Google Scholar
- 3.Flaws, B., Sionneau, P.: The treatment of modern western medical diseases with Chinese medicine: a textbook and clinical manual, 2nd edn. Blue Poppy Press (2005)Google Scholar
- 4.Wang, L., Zhou, G.B., Liu, P., Song, J.H., Liang, Y., Yan, X.J., Xu, F., Wang, B.S., Mao, J.H., Shen, Z.X., Chen, S.J., Chen, Z.: Dissection of mechanisms of chinese medicinal formula realgar-indigo naturalis as an effective treatment for promyelocytic leukemia. PNAS 105 (2008)Google Scholar
- 5.Zhou, X., Chen, S., Liu, B., Zhang, R., Wang, Y., Li, P., Guo, Y., Zhang, H., Gao, Z., Yan, X.: Development of traditional chinese medicine clinical data warehouse for medical knowledge discovery and decision support. Artif. Intell. Med. 48(2-3) (2009)Google Scholar
- 6.Feng, Y., Wu, Z., Zhou, X., Zhou, Z., Fan, W.: Knowledge discovery in traditional chinese medicine: State of the art and perspectives. Artif. Intell. Med. 38(3) (2006)Google Scholar
- 7.Zhang, N.L., Yuan, S., Chen, T., Wang, Y.: Latent tree models and diagnosis in traditional chinese medicine. Artif. Intell. Med. 42 (2008)Google Scholar
- 8.Zhang, N.L., Yuan, S., Chen, T., Wang, Y.: Statistical validation of traditional chinese medicine theories. J. Altern. Complement Med. 14(5) (2008)Google Scholar
- 9.Jakulin, A., Bratko, I.: Testing the significance of attribute interactions. In: ICML 2004 (2004)Google Scholar
- 12.Zhang, R.: Clinical research on the syndrome structure and syndrome hierarchical differentiation of disharmony of liver and spleen syndrome. PhD dissertation, Guanganmen hospital, China academy of Chinese medical sciences (2008) (in chinese)Google Scholar