Software Environment for Parallel Optimization of Complex Systems
The paper is concerned with parallel global optimization techniques that can be applied to solve complex optimization problems, and are widely used in applied science and in engineering. We describe an integrated software platform EPOCS (Environment for Parallel Optimization of Complex Systems) that provides the framework and tools which allow to solve complex optimization problems on parallel and multi-core computers. The composition, design and usage of EPOCS is discussed. Next, we evaluate the performance of methods implemented in the EPOCS library based on numerical results for a commonly used set of functions from the literature. The case study – calculating the optimal prices of products that are sold in the market is presented to illustrate the application of our tool to a given real-life problem.
KeywordsSoftware systems numerical solvers global optimization parallel optimization price management
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Horst, R., Pardalos, P.: Handbook of Global Optimization. Kluwer (1995)Google Scholar
- 6.Press, W.H., Tukolsky, S.A., Vetterling, W.T., Flannery, B.P.: Numerical Recipes in C. The Art of Scientific Computing. Cambridge University Press (1992)Google Scholar
- 8.Simon, H.: Price management. North-Holland (1989)Google Scholar
- 9.Spall, J.: Introduction to Stochastic Search and Optimization. John Wiley & Sons (2003)Google Scholar
- 10.Weise, T.: Global Optimization Algorithms: Theory and Application. e-book (2009), http://www.it-weise.de/projects/book.pdf