Societal statistics by the statistical Drake equation
As we know, the Drake equation, first proposed by Frank D. Drake in 1961, is the foundational equation of SETI.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Wikipedia 2011 site about the Drake equation: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drake_equation
- 2.Carl Sagan, Cosmos, Random House, New York, 1983. See pp. 298–302 in particular.Google Scholar
- 3.Claudio Maccone, “The statistical Drake equation,” paperdIAC-08-A4.1.4 presented on October 1, 2008, at the 59th International Astronautical Congress (IAC) held in Glasgow, Scotland, U.K., September 29–October 3, 2008.Google Scholar
- 4.Claudio Maccone, “The statistical Drake equation,” Acta Astronautica, 67 (2010), 1366– 1383. This was a special Acta Astronautica volume edited by John Elliott which collected all the papers presented at the First IAA Symposium on “Searching for Life Signatures”, UNESCO, Paris, September 22–26, 2008.Google Scholar
- 5.Claudio Maccone, “The statistical Drake equation and A. M. Lyapunov’s theorem: Problems in the search for extraterrestrial intelligence, Part I,” International Scientific Journal “Actual Problems of Aviation and Aerospace Systems”, 1(32), volume 16, 2011, 38–63. This is essentially a Russian translation of .Google Scholar
- 6.Claude E. Shannon, “A mathematical theory of communication,” Bell System Technical Journal, 27, 379–423, 623–656, 1948.Google Scholar
- 7.Stephen H. Dole, Habitable Planets for Man, First Edition, 1964, RAND Corporation. See p. 82 in particular (i.e., the beginning of Chapter 5 entitled “Probability of occurrence of habitable planets”).Google Scholar
- 8.Athanasios Papoulis and S. Unnikrishna Pillai, Probability, Random Variables and Stochastic Processes, Fourth Edition, Tata/McGraw-Hill, New Delhi, 2002. See pp. 186–187 in particular.Google Scholar
- 9.Claudio Maccone, “Societal statistics by virtue of the statistical Drake equation,” paper dIAC-10.A4.2.8, presented at the 61st International Astronautical Congress (IAC), Prague, Czech Republic, September 27–October 1, 2010, later published in Acta Astronautica, available online November 21, 2011.Google Scholar