Mathematical SETI pp 239-246
Societal statistics by the statistical Drake equation
- First Online:
As we know, the Drake equation, first proposed by Frank D. Drake in 1961, is the foundational equation of SETI.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Wikipedia 2011 site about the Drake equation: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drake_equation
- 2.Carl Sagan, Cosmos, Random House, New York, 1983. See pp. 298–302 in particular.Google Scholar
- 3.Claudio Maccone, “The statistical Drake equation,” paperdIAC-08-A4.1.4 presented on October 1, 2008, at the 59th International Astronautical Congress (IAC) held in Glasgow, Scotland, U.K., September 29–October 3, 2008.Google Scholar
- 4.Claudio Maccone, “The statistical Drake equation,” Acta Astronautica, 67 (2010), 1366– 1383. This was a special Acta Astronautica volume edited by John Elliott which collected all the papers presented at the First IAA Symposium on “Searching for Life Signatures”, UNESCO, Paris, September 22–26, 2008.Google Scholar
- 5.Claudio Maccone, “The statistical Drake equation and A. M. Lyapunov’s theorem: Problems in the search for extraterrestrial intelligence, Part I,” International Scientific Journal “Actual Problems of Aviation and Aerospace Systems”, 1(32), volume 16, 2011, 38–63. This is essentially a Russian translation of .Google Scholar
- 6.Claude E. Shannon, “A mathematical theory of communication,” Bell System Technical Journal, 27, 379–423, 623–656, 1948.Google Scholar
- 7.Stephen H. Dole, Habitable Planets for Man, First Edition, 1964, RAND Corporation. See p. 82 in particular (i.e., the beginning of Chapter 5 entitled “Probability of occurrence of habitable planets”).Google Scholar
- 8.Athanasios Papoulis and S. Unnikrishna Pillai, Probability, Random Variables and Stochastic Processes, Fourth Edition, Tata/McGraw-Hill, New Delhi, 2002. See pp. 186–187 in particular.Google Scholar
- 9.Claudio Maccone, “Societal statistics by virtue of the statistical Drake equation,” paper dIAC-10.A4.2.8, presented at the 61st International Astronautical Congress (IAC), Prague, Czech Republic, September 27–October 1, 2010, later published in Acta Astronautica, available online November 21, 2011.Google Scholar