Test Data Generation: A Hybrid Approach Using Cuckoo and Tabu Search
Software testing is meant to increase confidence in the correctness of software. Due to time, cost and other resource constraints, manual testing is highly impractical and undesirable, especially for the increasingly large sized software being developed these days. Therefore, there is a need to automate the testing process. This calls for the development of a time-efficient technique to automatically generate optimal test data. This paper introduces a novel approach to automated test data generation for software programs using a combination of heuristics involving Cuckoo and Tabu Search. The experimental results have shown a high degree of improvement with respect to the conventional Genetic Algorithm based technique.
KeywordsTabu Search String Input Cuckoo Search Generate Test Case Control Flow Graph
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Pressman, R.S.: Software Engineering: A Practioner’s Approach, 6th edn., International edn., pp. 33–39. McGraw-Hill (2005)Google Scholar
- 2.Tahbildar, H., Kalita, B.: Automated Test Data Generation: Direction of Research. International Journal of Computer Science & Engineering Survey 2(1) (February 2011)Google Scholar
- 3.Lakhotia, K., McMinn, P., Harman, M.: Automated Test Data Generation for Coverage: Haven’t We Solved This Problem Yet?. In: Testing: Academic and Industrial Conference - Practice and Research Techniques, TAIC Part 2009, pp. 95–104 (2009)Google Scholar
- 4.Xanthakis, S., Ellis, C., Skourlas, C., Gall, A.L., Katsikas, S., Karapoulios, K.: Application of Genetic Algorithms to Software Testing. In: Proceedings of the Fifth International Conference on Software Engineering and its Applications, pp. 625–636 (1992)Google Scholar
- 5.Glover, F.: Tabu Search fundamentals and uses. University of Colorado, Notes for the Graduate School of Business (1994)Google Scholar
- 6.Srivastava, P.R.: Automated Software Testing Using Metaheuristic Technique Based on An Ant Colony Optimization. In: Proceedings of International Symposium on Electronic System Design, pp. 235–240. IEEE Explore (2010)Google Scholar
- 7.Beizer, B.: Software Testing Techniques, 2nd edn. Van Nostrand Reinhold (1990)Google Scholar
- 8.Yang, X.-S., Deb, S.: Cuckoo Search via Levy flights. In: Proceedings of World Congress on Nature & Biologically Inspired Computing, pp. 210–214. IEEE Publications, USA (2009)Google Scholar
- 9.Shen, X., Wang, Q., Wang, P., Zhou, B.: Automatic generation of test case based on GATS algorithm. In: IEEE International Conference on Granular Computing, GRC 2009, pp. 496–500 (2009)Google Scholar