Nurse Rostering Using Modified Harmony Search Algorithm
- 1.4k Downloads
In this paper, a Harmony Search Algorithm (HSA) is adapted for Nurse Rostering Problem (NRP). HSA is a global optimization method derived from a musical improvisation process which has been successfully tailored for several optimization domains. NRP is a hard combinatorial scheduling problem of assigning given shifts to given nurses. Using a dataset established by International Nurse Rostering Competition 2010 of sprint dataset that has 10-early, 10-late, 10-hidden, and 3-hint. The proposed method achieved competitively comparable results.
KeywordsHarmony Search Soft Constraint Harmony Search Algorithm Harmony Memory Pitch Adjustment Rate
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Al-Betar, M., Khader, A.: A hybrid harmony search for university course timetabling. In: Proceedings of the 4nd Multidisciplinary Conference on Scheduling: Theory and Applications (MISTA 2009), Dublin, Ireland, pp. 10–12 (August 2009)Google Scholar
- 3.Al-Betar, M., Khader, A.: A harmony search algorithm for university course timetabling. Annals of Operations Research, 1–29 (2008)Google Scholar
- 4.Al-Betar, M., Khader, A., Nadi, F.: Selection mechanisms in memory consideration for examination timetabling with harmony search. In: Proceedings of the 12th Annual Conference on Genetic and Evolutionary Computation, pp. 1203–1210. ACM (2010)Google Scholar
- 6.Bilgin, B., De Causmaecker, P., Rossie, B., Vanden Berghe, G.: Local search neighbourhoods for dealing with a novel nurse rostering model. Annals of Operations Research, 1–25 (2011)Google Scholar
- 12.Burke, E., De Causmaecker, P., Vanden Berghe, G.: A hybrid tabu search algorithm for the nurse rostering problem. Simulated Evolution and Learning, 187–194 (1999)Google Scholar
- 16.Geem, Z.: Harmony search applications in industry. Soft Computing Applications in Industry, 117–134 (2008)Google Scholar
- 19.Geem, Z., Sim, K.: Parameter-setting-free harmony search algorithm. Applied Mathematics and Computation, 3881–3889 (2010)Google Scholar
- 20.Geem, Z., Tseng, C., Park, Y.: Harmony search for generalized orienteering problem: best touring in china. Advances in Natural Computation, 741–750 (2005)Google Scholar
- 31.Zhao, S., Suganthan, P., Pan, Q., Tasgetiren, M.: Dynamic multi-swarm particle swarm optimizer with harmony search. Expert Systems with Applications, 3735–3742 (2010)Google Scholar