Bacterial Foraging Optimization Algorithm Trained ANN Based Differential Protection Scheme for Power Transformers
- 1.3k Downloads
To avoid the malfunction of the differential relay, alternate improved protection techniques are to be formulated with improved accuracy and high operating speed. In this paper an entirely new approach for detection and discrimination of different operating and fault conditions of power transformers is proposed. In the proposed scheme Artificial Neural Network (ANN) techniques have been applied to power transformer protection to distinguish internal faults from normal operation, magnetizing inrush currents and external faults. Conventionally Levenberg-Marquardt learning rule based back propagation (BP) algorithm is used for optimizing the weights and bias values of the neural network. In this paper bacterial foraging algorithm (BFA), based on the self adaptability of individuals in the group searching activities is used for adjusting the weights and bias values in BP algorithm instead of Levenberg-Marquardt learning rule.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 5.Passino, K.M.: Distributed optimization and control using only a germ of intelligence. In: Proceedings of the 2000 IEEE International Symposium on Intelligent Control, July 17-19, pp. P5–P13 (2000)Google Scholar
- 8.Geethanjali, M., Slochanal, S.M.R., Bhavani, R.: A novel approach for power transformer protection based upon combined wavelet transform and neural networks (WNN). In: The 7th International Power Engineering Conference, IPEC 2005, 29 November-2 December (2005)Google Scholar
- 9.Segatto, E.C., Coury, D.V.: A Differential Relay for Power Transformers Using Intelligent Tools. IEEE Transactions on Power Systems 21(3) (August 2006)Google Scholar
- 10.Geethanjali, M., Mary Raja Slochanal, S., Bhavani, R.: PSO-Trained ANN Based Differential Protection Scheme For Power Transformers. Neuro Computing 71, 904–918 (2008)Google Scholar
- 11.Geethanjali, M., Mary Raja Slochanal, S., Bhavani, R.: A combined WNN approach for discrimination between Magnetizing Inrush current and Internal fault in a power transformer. IEEMA Journal, 62–65 (February 2006)Google Scholar