Non-uniform Circular-Shaped Antenna Array Design and Synthesis - A Multi-Objective Approach
- 1.3k Downloads
Design of non-uniform circular antenna arrays is one of the important optimization problems in electromagnetic domain. While designing a non-uniform circular array the goal of the designer is to achieve minimum side lobe levels with maximum directivity. In contrast to the single-objective methods that attempt to minimize a weighted sum of the four objectives considered here, in this article we consider these as four distinct objectives that are to be optimized simultaneously in a multi-objective (MO) framework using one of the best known Multi-Objective Evolutionary Algorithms (MOEAs) called NSGA-II. This MO approach provides greater flexibility in design by producing a set of final solutions with different trade-offs among the four objective from which the designer can choose one as per requirements. To the best of our knowledge, other than the single objective approaches, no MOEA has been applied to design a non-uniform circular array before. Simulations have been conducted to show that the best compromise solution obtained by NSGA-II is far better than the best results achieved by the single objective approaches by using the differential evolution (DE) algorithm and the Particle Swarm Optimization (PSO) algorithm.
KeywordsDifferential Evolution Antenna Array Circular Array Side Lobe Level Multiobjective Evolutionary Algorithm
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Zhang, Q., Li, H.: MOEA/D: A Multiobjective Evolutionary Algorithm Based on Decomposition. IEEE Trans. Evolutionary Computation, 712–731 (2007)Google Scholar
- 6.Shihab, M., Najjar, Y., Dib, N., Khodier, M.: Design of non -uniform circular antenna arrays using particle swarm optimization. Journal of Electrical Engineering 59(4), 216–220 (2008)Google Scholar
- 10.Kennedy, J., Eberhart, R.: Particle swarm optimization. In: Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference Neural Networks, vol. 4, pp. 1942–1948 (1995)Google Scholar
- 15.Pal, S., Qu, B.Y., Das, S., Suganthan, P.N.: Optimal Synthesis of Linear Antenna Arrays with Multi-objective Differential Evolution. Progress in Electromagnetics Research, PIER B 21, 87–111 (2010)Google Scholar
- 16.Chandran, S. (ed.): Adaptive Antenna Arrays: Trends and Applications. Springer, Heidelberg (2004)Google Scholar
- 17.Pal, S., Das, S., Basak, A., Suganthan, P.N.: Synthesis of difference patterns for monopulse antennas with optimal combination of array-size and number of subarrays - A multi-objective optimization approach. Progress in Electromagnetics Research, PIER B 21, 257–280 (2010)Google Scholar