Application of Swarm Intelligence to a Two-Fold Optimization Scheme for Trajectory Planning of a Robot Arm
- 1.3k Downloads
Motion planning of a robotic arm has been an important area of research for the last decade with the growing application of robot arms in medical science and industries. In this paper the problem of motion planning has been dealt with in two stages, first by developing appropriate cost functions to determine a set of via points and then fitting an optimal energy trajectory. Lbest Particle Swarm Optimization has been used to solve the minimization problem and its relative performance with respect to two other popular evolutionary algorithms, Differential Evolution and Invasive Weed Optimization, has been studied. Experiments indicate swarm intelligence techniques to be far more efficient to solve the optimization problem.
KeywordsCost Function Differential Evolution Motion Planning Obstacle Avoidance Swarm Intelligence
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Gilbert, E.G., Johnson, D.E.: Distance Function and Their Application to Robot Path Planning in the Presence of Obstacles. IEEE J. of Robotics and Automation RA-1(1) (1985)Google Scholar
- 4.Zalzala, A.M.S., Chan, K.K.: An Evolutionary Solution for the Control of Mechanical Arms. In: Proceedings of ICARCV 1994, Singapore (1994)Google Scholar
- 5.Pack, D., Toussaint, G., Haupt, R.: Robot Trajectory Planning Using a Genetic Algorithm. In: SPIE 1996, vol. 2824, pp. 171–182 (1996)Google Scholar
- 9.Konar, A., Das, S.: Recent Advances in Evolutionary Search and Optimization Algorithms. In: NGMS 2006, BESU, Shibpur, Howrah, India, January 11-13 (1996)Google Scholar
- 10.Kennedy, J., Eberhart, R.C.: Particle Swarm Optimization. In: Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Neural Networks, vol. 4, pp. 1942–1948 (1995)Google Scholar