Detection of Disease Using Block-Based Unsupervised Natural Plant Leaf Color Image Segmentation
A novel unsupervised color image segmentation method is proposed in this paper. First, the image is converted to HSI color model and then it is divided into 5x5 grid matrix resulting into 25 blocks of original leaf image. Each block is then processed separately and passed under an unsupervised segmentation. This segmentation is based on minimizing the energy of each region in the image. This gives the better result in cased of diseased leaf image dataset. This automated system is very much applicable in research work by the botanists specially working with crop diseases and production.
KeywordsComputer Vision Unsupervised Natural Image Segmentation Gaussian Mixture Model Leaf Disease Detection Histogram-based Segmentation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Glasbey, C.A.: An Analysis of Histogram-based Thresholding Algorithm. CVGIP: Graphical Model and Image Processing 55, 532–537 (1993)Google Scholar
- 5.Naemura, M., Fukuda, A., Mizutani, Y., Izumi, Y., Tanaka, Y., Enami, K.: Morphological Segmentation of Sport Scenes using Color Information. IEEE Transactions on Broadcasting 46(3) (September 2000)Google Scholar
- 6.Leing, T., Malik, L.: Contour Continuity in Region Based Image Segmentation. In: Proceedings of the Fifth Europe Conference on Computer Vision (June 1998)Google Scholar
- 7.Brejl, M., Sonka, M.: Edge-Based Image segmentation: Machine Learning from Examples. In: IEEE World Congress on Computational Intelligence, pp. 814–819 (May 1998)Google Scholar
- 8.Meyer, F.: Color image segmentation. In: Proc. Int. Conf. Image Processing, Maastricht, The Netherlands (1992)Google Scholar
- 9.Bhanu, B., Lee, S., Ming, J.: Adaptive image segmentation using a genetic algorithm. IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics 25(12) (December 1995)Google Scholar
- 10.Wang, S., Siskind, J.M.: Image segmentation with ratio cut. IEEE Transaction on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence 25(6) (June 2003)Google Scholar
- 11.Yamazaki, T.: Introduction of EM Algorithm into Color Image segmentation. In: Proceedings of ICIRS 1998, pp. 368–371 (August 1998)Google Scholar
- 12.Dustmann, C.: Maximum Likelihood (ML) Estimation. Lectures 8/9, Spring Term (2003), http://www.ucl.ac.uk/~uctpa36/lec8_03.pdf
- 13.Wu, Y., Yang, X., Chan, K.L.: Unsupervised color image segmentation based on Gaussian mixture model. In: Proceedings of the Fourth International Conference on Information, Communications and Signal Processing, 2003 and the Fourth Pacific Rim Conference on Multimedia, vol. 1, pp. 541–544 (2003)Google Scholar
- 16.Juan, O., Keriven, R.: Unsupervised Segmentation for Digital Matting. CERTIS Research Report November (2004), http://certis.enpc.fr/publications/papers/05certis04.pdf (July 30, 2011)
- 17.Prasad, S., Kudiri, K.M., Tripathi, R.C.: Relative Sub-image Features for Leaf Recognition using Support Vector Machine. In: Processing of International Conference on Communication Computing and Security, ICCCS 2011, pp. 343–346 (February 2011)Google Scholar