Application of ANN Based Pattern Recognition Technique for the Protection of 3-Phase Power Transformer
This paper presents an application of ANN based Pattern Recognition Technique for the differential protection of a two winding three-phase power transformer. It proposes a variation in feed forward back propagation neural network (FFBPNN) model, which makes the discrimination among normal, magnetizing inrush, over-excitation and internal fault currents efficiently. Fault conditions of the transformer are simulated using MATLAB/SIMULINK in order to obtain current signals. The training process for the neural network and fault diagnosis decision are implemented using toolboxes on MATLAB.
KeywordsArtificial neural network differential protection Pattern Recognition Power transformer
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Rahmati, A.: Pattern recognition methods for improvement of differential protection in power transformers. InTech (October 2009) Google Scholar
- 3.Saha, M.M., Rosolowski, E., Izykowski, J.: Artificial Intelligent Application to Power System ProtectionGoogle Scholar
- 4.Balaga, H., Vishwakarma, D.N., Sinha, A.: Numerical Differential Protection of Power Transformer using ANN as a Pattern Classifier. In: International Conference on Power, Control and Embedded Systems (ICPCES-2010), November 28-December 1. IEEE (2010)Google Scholar
- 7.Sadeghierad, M., Teherie Asbagh, A, Monsef, H.: A new algorithm for protection of three-phase power transformers using newral networks. In: AEE 2005 Proceedings of the 4th WSEAS International Conference on Applications of Electrical Engineering (2005)Google Scholar
- 8.Pihler, J., Dolinar, D.: Improved Operation of Power Transformer Protection Using Artificial Neural Network. IEEE Transctions on Power Delivery 12(3) (July 1997)Google Scholar
- 9.Kasztenny, B., Rosolowski, E.: Multi-Objective Optimization of a Neural Network based Differential Relay for Power Transformers. In: IEEE Conference on Transmission and Distribution, vol. 2, pp. 476–481 (1999)Google Scholar
- 10.Zaman, M.R., Rahman, M.A.: Experimental Testing of the Artificial Neural Network Based Protection of Power Transformers. IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery 13(2) (April 1998)Google Scholar
- 12.Moravej, Z., Vishwakarma, D.N.: ANN Based Harmonic Restraint Differential Protection of Power Transformer. IE(I) Journal-EL 84 (June 2003)Google Scholar
- 13.Khorashadi-Zadeh, H.: Power Transformer Differential Protection Scheme Based on Symmetrical Component and Artificial Neural Network. In: 7th Seminar on Neural Network Applications in Electrical Engineering, September 23-25. IEEE (2004)Google Scholar
- 14.Segatto, E.C., Coury, D.V.: A Differential Relay For Power Transformers Using Intelligent Tools. IEEE Transactions on Power System 21(3) (August 2006)Google Scholar
- 15.Coury, D.V., Segatto, E.C.: Pattern Recognition to Distinguish Magnetizing Inrush from Internal Faults in Power Transformers. In: 4th WSEAS Int. Conf. on Soft Computing, Optimization, Simulation & Manufacturing Systems (SOSM 2004) (2004)Google Scholar