Genetic Algorithm Assisted Enhancement in Pattern Recognition Efficiency of Radial Basis Neural Network
The paper presents a feature extraction method for improving pattern classification efficiency of the radial basis function neural network. The principal component analysis in combination with preprocessing by vector autoscaling and dimensional autoscaling has been used to generate two alternate feature vector representations of the objects. A feature fusion scheme is proposed in which the two feature sets are combined by simple concatenation and then allowed to undergo genetic evolution. The fused features are obtained by applying a weighting method based on the prevalence of feature components in the terminal population. The present method of feature extraction in combination with radial basis neural network has been demonstrated to improve the classification rate for nine benchmark datasets analyzed.
KeywordsGenetic algorithm radial basis function neural network feature extraction pattern recognition
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 7.Zohdy, M.A., Loh, N., Liu, J.: Application of Maximum Likelihood Identification with Multisensor Fusion to Stochastic Systems. In: Proceedings of American Control Conference, Pennsylvania, pp. 411–416 (1989)Google Scholar
- 8.Khan, A.A., Zohdy, M.A.: A Genetic Algorithm for Selection of Noisy Sensor Data in Multisensor Data Fusion. In: Proceedings of American Control Conference, Albuquerque, pp. 2256–2262 (1997)Google Scholar
- 9.Cover, T.M., Thomas, J.A.: Elements of Information Theory, Section 2.1. Wiley & Sons, Hoboken (2006)Google Scholar
- 10.Pardo, M., Sberveglieri, G.: Coffee Analysis with an Electronic Nose. IEEE Trans. Instrum. Measur. 51, 1334–1339 (2002), http://sensor.ing.unibs.it/_people/pardo/dataset.html CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 11.Rose-Pehrson, S.L., Lella, D.D., Grate, J.W.: Smart Sensor System and Method Using Surface Acoustic Wave Vapor Sensor Array and Pattern Recognition for Selective Trace Organic Vapor Detection. U.S. Patent 5469369 (1995)Google Scholar
- 12.Frank, A., Asuncion, A.: UCI Machine Learning Repository. University of California, School of Information and Computer Science, Irvine, CA, http://archive.ics.uci.edu/ml/datasets.html
- 14.Ling, C.: Stream data classification using improved fisher discriminate analysis. J. Computers 4, 208–214 (2009)Google Scholar
- 15.Moradian, M., Baraani, A.: KNNBA: K- Nearest-Neighbor Based-Association Algorithm. J. Theor. Appl. Informat. Technol. 6, 123–129 (2009)Google Scholar