Solution of Economic Load Dispatch Problem Using Lbest-Particle Swarm Optimization with Dynamically Varying Sub-swarms
This article presents an efficient optimization approach to solve constrained Economic Load Dispatch (ELD) problem using a ‘Lbest-Particle Swarm Optimization with Dynamically Varying Sub-swarms’ (LPSO-DVS). The proposed method is found to give optimal results while working with constraints in the ELD, arising due to practical limitations like dynamic operation constraints (ramp rate limits) and prohibited zones and also accounts valve point loadings. Simulations performed over various systems with different number of generating units with the proposed method have been compared with other existing relevant approaches. Experimental results support the claim of proficiency of the method over other existing techniques in terms of robustness, fast convergence and, most importantly its optimal search behavior.
KeywordsParticle Swarm Optimization Particle Swarm Optimization Algorithm Bacterial Forage Optimisation Genetic Algorithm Solution Economic Load Dispatch
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Wood, A.J., Wollenberg, B.F.: Power generation, operation and control. John Wiley & Sons, New York (1984)Google Scholar
- 4.Wong, K.P., Fung, C.C.: Simulated annealing based economic dispatch algorithm. Proc. Inst. Elect. Eng. C., Gen., Transm., Distrib. 140(6), 505–519 (1993)Google Scholar
- 5.Walter, D.C., Sheble, G.B.: Genetic algorithm solution of economic dispatch with valve-point loading. IEEE Trans. Power Syst. 8(3), 1125–1132 (1993)Google Scholar
- 8.Eberhart, R.C., Kennedy, J.: A new optimizer using particle swarm theory. In: Proc. of the Sixth Int. Symposium on Micromachine and Human Science, Nagoya, Japan, pp. 39–43 (1995)Google Scholar
- 9.Liang, J.J., Suganthan, P.N.: Dynamic multi-swarm particle swarmoptimizer. In: Proc. Swarm Intell. Symp., pp. 124–129 (June 2005)Google Scholar
- 11.Walter, D.C., Sheble, G.B.: Genetic algorithm solution of economic dispatch with valve-point loading. IEEE Trans. Power Syst. 8(3), 1125–1132 (1993)Google Scholar
- 17.Panigrahi, B.K., Ravikumar Pandi, V.: Bacterial foraging optimisation: Nelder–Mead hybrid algorithm for economic load dispatch. IET Gen. Trans. & Distrib. (September 2007)Google Scholar
- 20.Meng, K.: Research of fuzzy self-adaptive immune algorithm and its application, M. E thesis, east China Univ. Sci. Technol., Shanghai, China (2007)Google Scholar
- 21.Ning, Z.G., Meng, K., Yan, X.F., Qian, F.: An improved particle swarm algorithm and its application in soft sensor modeling. J. East China Univ. Sci. Technol. 33(3), 400–404 (2007)Google Scholar