A Modified Differential Evolution Algorithm Applied to Challenging Benchmark Problems of Dynamic Optimization
Many real-world optimization problems are dynamic in nature. In order to deal with these Dynamic Optimization Problems (DOPs), an optimization algorithm must be able to continuously locate the optima in the constantly changing environment. In this paper, we propose a multi-population based differential evolution (DE) algorithm to address DOPs. This algorithm, denoted by pDEBQ, uses Brownian & adaptive Quantum individuals in addition to DE individuals to increase the diversity & exploration ability. A neighborhood based new mutation strategy is incorporated to control the perturbation & there by to prevent the algorithm from converging too quickly. Furthermore, an exclusion rule is used to spread the subpopulations over a larger portion of the search space as this enhances the optima tracking ability of the algorithm. Performance of pDEBQ algorithm has been evaluated over a suite of benchmarks used in Competition on Evolutionary Computation in Dynamic and Uncertain Environments, CEC’09.
KeywordsDifferential Evolution Dynamic Optimization Neighborhood based Mutation Strategy
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Brest, J., Zamuda, A., Boskovic, B., Maucec, M.S., Zumer, V.: Dynamic Optimization using Self-Adaptive Differential Evolution. In: Proc. 2009 Cong. on Evol. Comput., pp. 415–422 (2009)Google Scholar
- 4.Li, C., Yang, S., Nguyen, T.T., Yu, E.L., Yao, X., Jin, Y., Beyer, H.-G., Suganthan, P.N.: Benchmark Generator for CEC 2009 Competition on Dynamic Optimization, Technical Report, University of Leicester, University of Birmingham, Nanyang Technological University (September 2008)Google Scholar
- 5.Li, C., Yang, S.: A Generalised Approach to Construct Benchmark Problems for Dynamic Optimization. In: Li, X., Kirley, M., Zhang, M., Green, D., Ciesielski, V., Abbass, H.A., Michalewicz, Z., Hendtlass, T., Deb, K., Tan, K.C., Branke, J., Shi, Y. (eds.) SEAL 2008. LNCS, vol. 5361, pp. 391–400. Springer, Heidelberg (2008)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 6.Lung, R.I., Dumitrescu, D.: A collaborative model for tracking optima in dynamic environments. In: Proc. 2007 Congr. Evol. Comput., pp. 564–567 (2007)Google Scholar
- 7.Korosec, P., Silc, J.: The differential anti-stigmergy algorithm applied to dynamic optimization problems. In: Proc. 2009 Congr. Evol. Comput., pp. 407–414 (2009)Google Scholar