Enhanced Discrete Differential Evolution to Determine Optimal Coordination of Directional Overcurrent Relays in a Power System
This paper presents an enhanced differential evolution technique to solve the optimal coordination of directional overcurrent relays in a power system. The most vital task when installing directional relays on the system is selecting suitable current and time settings such that their fundamental protective functions are met under the requirements of sensitivity, selectivity, reliability and speed. Coordination of directional over current relays can be formulated as a linear or non-linear problem taking into account the discrete value for the time dial settings and the pickup current settings. The results are compared with different algorithms on a test system and are presented in this paper.
KeywordsDirectional overcurrent relays (DOCRs) Enhanced Discrete Differential Evolution Algorithm (EDDEA) Relay coordination Pickup current settings (Ip) Time dial settings (TDS)
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Ramaswami, R.: Transmission Protective Relay Coordination- A Computer-Aided-Engineering Approach for Subsystems and Full Systems, Ph.D. Dissertation, University of Washington Seattle (1986) Google Scholar
- 4.Braga, A.S., Saraiva, J.T.: Co-ordination of directional overcurrent relays in meshed networks using simplex method. In: Proc. IEEE MELECON Conf., vol. 3, pp. 1535–1538 (1996)Google Scholar
- 5.Abyaneh, H.A., Keyhani, R.: Optimal co-ordination of overcurrent relays in power system by dual simplex method. In: Proc. AUPEC Conf., Perth, Australia, vol. 3, pp. 440–445 (1995)Google Scholar
- 8.So, C.W., Li, K.K., Lai, K.T., Fung, K.Y.: Application of genetic algorithm for overcurrent relay coordination. In: Proc. IEE Conference on Developments in Power System Protection, pp. 66–69 (1997)Google Scholar
- 11.Bashir, M., Taghizadeh, M., Sadeh, J., Mashhadi, H.R.: A new hybrid particle swarm optimization for optimal coordination of overcurrent relay. In: International Conference on Power System Technology, pp. 1–6 (2010)Google Scholar
- 12.Storn, R.: Differential evolution: A simple and efficient adaptive scheme for global optimization over continuous spaces, ICSI, Tech. Rep. TR-95-012 (1995) Google Scholar