Patellar Fracture Analysis Using Segmentation and Global Thresholding Techniques
Radiologists identify abnormal pathologies including fractures with a high level of accuracy. However in some cases the examining reader accuracy may show high miss rate while reading X-rays containing abnormalities such as multiple patellar fracture. Accurate diagnosis of fractures is vital to the effective management of patient injuries. As a result, detection of patellar fracture is an important orthopedics and radiologic problem. In this paper, attempt has been made to develop an algorithm which will identify global thresholding ranges for different edge detection operators e.g. Sobel, Prewitt, Canny, Laplacian of Gaussian for analysis of fractured patella, which will help the orthopedic surgeons for analyzing the fracture in a better form than conventional method of diagnosis which is subjective, time consuming and tedious. The processing algorithms are developed on MATLAB 7.6.0 (R2008a) programming platform.
KeywordsX-ray image patellar fracture algorithms segmentation global thresholding
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Neelgar, B.I., Benakop, P.G.: Analysis of Segmentation of Femur by Filtering Techniques. Ind. J. Sc. Tech. 1, 1–5 (2008)Google Scholar
- 4.Waugh, A., Grant, A.: Anatomy and Physiology in Health and Illness, 10th edn. Churchill Livingstone-Elsevier (2001)Google Scholar
- 5.Patella Fracture: Causes, Diagnosis and Treatment, http://www.joint-pain-expert.net/patella-fracture.html
- 6.Medscape Reference, http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/394270-overview
- 7.Mahendran, S.K., Baboo, S.S.: Enhanced Automatic X-ray Bone Image Segmentation using Wavelets and Morphological Operators. In: Int. Conf. on Information and Electronics Eng., pp. 125–129. IACSIT Press, Singapore (2011)Google Scholar
- 8.Chen, H.C., Wu, C.H., Lin, C.J., Liu, Y.H., Sun, Y.N.: Automated Segmentation for Patella from Lateral Knee X-ray Images. In: 31st Annu. Int. Conf. of the IEEE EMBS, pp. 3553–3556 (2009)Google Scholar
- 11.Gonzalez, R.C., Woods, R.E.: Digital Image Processing, 3rd edn. Prentice Hall (2001)Google Scholar
- 16.Zahurul, S., Zahidul, S., Jidin, R.: An Adept Edge Detection Algorithm for Human Knee Osteoarthritis Images. In: Int. Conf. on Signal Acq. and Processing, pp. 375–379 (2010)Google Scholar