Parallel Coupled Microstrip Bandpass Filter for Short Range UWB Applications
Bandpass filter is presented based on parallel coupled line microstrip structure suitable for short range Ultra-Wideband (UWB) applications. Chebyshev filter of order 4 and 0.2 dB passband ripple with fractional bandwidth of 86 % is designed using insertion loss method. The proposed filter demonstrates -10 dB bandwidth over the range 3.9 GHz to 9.8 GHz and has linear phase response in the operating band. The analysis of the filter is performed by using MoM based electromagnetic solver, IE3D. With the above functional features the overall dimension of the filter is 31 mm (height) × 4 mm (length) × 1.6 mm (breadth). It is not only compact but also delivers excellent scattering parameters with the magnitude of insertion loss, |S21| lower than -0.5 dB at center frequency, 6.85 GHz and return loss better than -32.67 dB. In the passband, the computed group delay is well within the tolerable variation of 0.02 ns.
KeywordsUltra-wideband bandpass filter parallel coupled line microstrip group delay
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.FCC NEWS (FCC 02-48): FCC News release (2002)Google Scholar
- 3.Mattaei, G., Young, L., Jones, E.M.T.: Microwave Filters, Impedance-Matching Networks, and Coupling Structures. Artech House, Norwood (1980)Google Scholar
- 4.Shaman, H., Hong, J.S.: Asymmetric Parallel-Coupled Lines for Notch Implementation in UWB Filters. IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett. 17(7) (2007)Google Scholar
- 6.Fathelbab, W.M., Jaradat, H.M.: New Stepped-Impedance Parallel Coupled Line (PCL) Filters for Ultra-Wideband (UUB) Application. In: Proceedings of IEEE 38th European Microwave Conference, Amsterdam (2008)Google Scholar
- 9.Phromloungsri, R., Chongcheawchamnan, M., Robertson, I.D.: Inductively Compensated Parallel Coupled Microstrip Lines and Their Applications. IEEE Trans. on Microwave Theory and Tech. 54(9) (2006)Google Scholar
- 10.Kuo, J.T., Hsu, W.-H., Huang, W.T.: Parallel Coupled Microstrip Filters with Suppression of Harmonic Response. IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett. 12(10) (2002)Google Scholar
- 11.Chen, C.-P., Ma, Z., Takakura, Y., Nihei, H., Anada, T.: Novel Wideband Bandpass Filer Using Open-Ended Stub Loaded Parallel Coupled Short-Circuited Three-Line Unit. In: Proceedings IEEE IMS (2009)Google Scholar
- 14.IE3D 14, Zeland Software, Ins., Fremont, USAGoogle Scholar