A Shape Representation Scheme for Hand-Drawn Symbol Recognition
- 715 Downloads
Pen based inputs are natural for human beings. A hand-drawn shape (symbol) can be used for various purposes, like, a command gesture, an input for authentication purpose, etc. Shape of a symbol is invariant to scale, translation, mirror-reflection and rotation of the symbol. Moments, like Zernike moments are often used to represent a symbol. Descriptors based on Zernike moments are rotation invariant, but since they are neither translation nor scale invariant, a normalization step as pre-processing is required. Apart from this, higher order Zernike moments are error prone. The present paper, proposes to use probability distributions of some local moments of lower order, as a representation scheme. Theoretically it is shown to possess all invariance properties. Experimentally, using the k-nearest neighbor classifier (with Kullback-Leibler distance), it is shown to perform better than Zernike moments based representation scheme.
Keywordshandwritten symbol recognition moments moment invariants probability distribution nearest neighbor classification
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Duda, R.O., Hart, P.E., Stork, D.G.: Pattern Classification, 2nd edn. A Wiley-interscience Publication, John Wiley & Sons (2000)Google Scholar
- 5.Flusser, J.: Moment invariants in image analysis. Proceedings of World Academy of Science, Engineering and Technology 11, 196–201 (2006)Google Scholar
- 7.Frankish, C., Hull, R., Morgan, P.: Recognition accuracy and user acceptance of pen. In: Proceedings of SIGCHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems, pp. 503–510 (1995)Google Scholar
- 8.Gokaramaiah, T., Viswanath, P., Reddy, B.: A novel shape based hierarchical retrieval system for 2D images. In: 2010 IEEE International Conference on Advances in Recent Technologies in Communication and Computing (ARTCom), pp. 10–14 (October 2010)Google Scholar
- 9.Gui, J., Zhou, W.: Fruit shape classification using zernike moments. In: Proceedings of International Conference on Image Processing and Pattern Recognition in Industrial Engineering, vol. 7820 (August 2010)Google Scholar
- 10.Hse, H., Newton, A.R.: Sketched symbol recognition using Zernike moments. In: Proceedings of ICPR 2004, vol. 1, pp. 367–370. IEEE Computer Society, Los Alamitos (2004)Google Scholar
- 12.Kenzie, I.M., Zhang, S.: The immediate usability of graffiti. In: Proc. Graphics Interface, pp. 129–137 (1997)Google Scholar
- 17.Rohatgi, V.K., Ehsanes Saleh, A.K.: An Introduction to Probability and Statistics. A Wiley-Interscience Publication, John Wiley & Sons, Inc. (2002)Google Scholar
- 18.Wang, Z., Chi, Z., Feng, D.: Shape based leaf image retrieval. IEE Proc.-Vis. Image Signal Process. 150 (February 2003)Google Scholar