Algorithmic Aspects of Dominator Colorings in Graphs
In this paper we initiate a systematic study of a problem that has the flavor of two classical problems, namely Coloring and Domination, from the perspective of algorithms and complexity. A dominator coloring of a graph G is an assignment of colors to the vertices of G such that it is a proper coloring and every vertex dominates all the vertices of at least one color class. The minimum number of colors required for a dominator coloring of G is called the dominator chromatic number of G and is denoted by χ d (G). In the Dominator Coloring (DC) problem, a graph G and a positive integer k are given as input and the objective is to check whether χ d (G) ≤ k. We first show that unless P=NP, DC cannot be solved in polynomial time on bipartite, planar, or split graphs. This resolves an open problem posed by Chellali and Maffray [Dominator Colorings in Some Classes of Graphs, Graphs and Combinatorics, 2011] about the polynomial time solvability of DC on chordal graphs. We then complement these hardness results by showing that the problem is fixed parameter tractable (FPT) on chordal graphs and in graphs which exclude a fixed apex graph as a minor.
KeywordsDominator Coloring Fixed-Parameter Tractability Chordal Graphs Apex-Minor-Free Graphs
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Arumugam, S., Bagga, J., Chandrasekar, K.R.: On dominator colorings in graphs (2010) (manuscript)Google Scholar
- 6.Chellali, M., Maffray, F.: Dominator colorings in some classes of graphs. Graphs and Combinatorics, 1–11 (2011)Google Scholar
- 8.Courcelle, B.: The expression of graph properties and graph transformations in monadic second-order logic. In: Rozenberg, G. (ed.) Handbook of Graph Grammars and Computing by Graph Transformations: Foundations, ch. 5, vol. 1. World Scientific (1997)Google Scholar
- 20.Gera, R.: On dominator coloring in graphs. In: Graph Theory Notes of New York, pp. 25–30. LII (2007)Google Scholar
- 21.Gera, R.: On the dominator colorings in bipartite graphs. In: ITNG, pp. 1–6. IEEE (2007)Google Scholar
- 24.Hedetniemi, S., Hedetniemi, S., McRae, A., Blair, J.: Dominator colorings of graphs (2006) (preprint)Google Scholar