Wild Programming – One Unintended Experiment with Inquiry Based Learning
This paper describes one unplanned experiment of a 6th grade student writing her first computer program for 3D graphics before learning any programming language. Some intriguing aspects in her program are analyzed, especially the emerging understanding of key concepts like enumeration, naming conventions of variables and symmetry in 3D space. The paper also identifies two main directions of mental processes. The first direction is actively supported by the school. It is based on presenting and using knowledge in a distilled error-free way. The other direction encompasses techniques needed to identify wrong solutions and to find a way to overcome problems and reach a correct solution. This direction in underrepresented in the educational system and it is left uncultivated as a result. Students are expected to develop such skills by themselves.
KeywordsProgramming cultivated education emerging understanding
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Darrow, G.: The Strawberry: History, Breeding and Physiology, Chapter 4: The Strawberry From Chile. Holt, Rinehart and Winston, New York (1966)Google Scholar
- 2.Boytchev, P.: Pedagogical Inversion. Presented at the 4th International Conference for Theory and Practice in Education, Budapest (2011)Google Scholar
- 3.Boytchev, P., Chehlarova, T., Sendova, E.: Enhancing Spatial Imagination of Young Students by Activities in 3D ELICA Applications. In: 36th Spring Conference of the Union of Bulgarian Mathematicians, Varna, pp. 109–119 (2007)Google Scholar
- 4.DALEST project, http://www.elica.net/site/museum/Dalest/dalest.html
- 5.InnoMathEd project, http://www.math.uni-augsburg.de/prof/dida/innomath
- 6.Fibonacci project, http://fibonacci.uni-bayreuth.de/
- 7.Robertson, S.: Types of thinking. Routledge, London (1999)Google Scholar
- 8.Paton, B.: Lateral Thinking, http://www.solutioneers.net/solutioneering/lateralthinking.html
- 9.Bono, E.: Lateral Thinking: A textbook of creativity. Penguin, Harmondsworth (1977)Google Scholar
- 10.Clayson, J., Kalas, I. (eds.): Proc. of Constructionism 2010, Paris, France. Comenius University, Bratislava (2010)Google Scholar