Fault-Based Generation of Test Cases from UML-Models – Approach and Some Experiences
In principle, automated test case generation – both from source code and models – is a fairly evolved technology, which is on the way to common use in industrial testing and quality assessment of safety-related, software-intensive systems. However, common coverage measures such as branch or MC/DC for source code and states or transitions for state-based models provide only very limited information about the covered (implementation) faults. Fault-based test case generation tries to improve this situation by looking for detecting faults explicitly. This paper describes an approach combining fault- and model-based testing which has been realized in the European project MOGENTES, using UML state machines for representing requirements, and discusses results of its application to a use case from the automotive domain.
Keywordsmodel-based test case generation fault models MOGENTES UML action systems mutation testing ioco (input/output conformance)
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Aichernig, B.K., Brandl, H., Jöbstl, E., Krenn, W.: Efficient Mutation Killers in Action. In: Proceedings of the 4th IEEE International Conference on Software Testing, Verification and Validation, ICST (March 2011) (in press)Google Scholar
- 2.Aichernig, B.K., Krenn, W.: Model-Based Generation of Test-Cases (for Embedded Systems) – State of the Art Survey. Deliverable 1.2 of EU FP7 project MOGENTES, http://www.mogentes.eu/public/deliverables/MOGENTES_1-19a_1.1r_D1.2_Survey_Part-a.pdf
- 3.Aichernig, B.K., He, J.: Mutation testing in UTP. Journal of Formal Aspects of Computing 21(1-2) (February 2009)Google Scholar
- 4.Aichernig, B.K., Peischl, B., Weiglhofer, M., Wotawa, F.: Protocol conformance testing a SIP registrar: An industrial application of formal methods. In: Proceedings of the 5th IEEE International Conference on Software Engineering and Formal Methods, pp. 215–224. IEEE, London (2007)Google Scholar
- 10.Fabbri, S.C.P.F., Maldonado, J.C., Sugeta, T., Masiero, P.C.: Mutation testing applied to validate specifications based on statecharts. In: Proceedings 10th International Symposium on Software Reliability Engineering (Cat. No.PR00443), Boca Raton, FL, USA, pp. S.210–219 Google Scholar
- 12.Gnesi, S., Latella, D., Massink, M., Moruzzi, V., Pisa, I.: Formal test-case generation for uml statecharts. In: Proc. 9th IEEE Int. Conf. on Engineering of Complex Computer Systems 2004, pp. 75–84 (2004)Google Scholar
- 13.Jia, Y., Harman, M.: An Analysis and Survey of the Development of Mutation Testing. IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering PP(99), 1Google Scholar
- 14.Myers, G.J., Sandler, C.: The Art of Software Testing. John Wiley & Sons, Chichester (2004) ISBN 0471469122Google Scholar
- 22.Yang, Q., Ma, D., Zhao, Y., Li, Z.: Towards a Formal Verification Approach for Implementation of Web Services Specifications. In: Proc. of 2010 IEEE Asia-Pacific Services Computing Conf., pp. 269–276 (December 2010)Google Scholar