Modeling Aircraft Operational Reliability
The success of an aircraft mission is subject to the fulfillment of some operational requirements before and during each flight. As these requirements depend essentially on the aircraft system components and the mission profile, the effects of failures can be very significant if they are not anticipated. Hence, one should be able to assess the aircraft operational reliability with regard to its missions in order to be able to cope with failures. This paper addresses aircraft operational reliability modeling to support maintenance planning during the mission achievement. We develop a modeling approach to represent the aircraft system operational state taking into account the mission profile as well as the maintenance facilities available at the flight stop locations involved in the mission. It is illustrated using Stochastic Activity Networks (SANs) formalism, based on an aircraft subsystem.
Keywordsoperational reliability model-based assessment aircraft system maintenance planning
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Ahmadi, A., Soderholm, P.: Assessment of Operational Consequences of Aircraft Failures: Using Event Tree Analysis. In: 2008 IEEE Aerospace Conference, pp. 1–14 (2008)Google Scholar
- 3.Prescott, D., Andrews, J.: Aircraft safety modeling for time-limited dispatch. In: Proceedings of Annual Reliability and Maintainability Symposium, pp. 139–145 (2005)Google Scholar
- 4.Master Minimum Equipment List, Airbus A-340-200/300, http://fsims.faa.gov/wdocs/mmel/a340-200-300%20original%2005-30-08.htm, http://fsims.faa.gov/wdocs/mmel/a340-200-300original05-30-08.pdf
- 10.Kehren, C., et al.: Advanced Simulation Capabilities for Multi-Systems with AltaRica. In: Proceedings of the 22nd International System Safety Conference (ISSC), System Safety Society, pp. 489–498 (2004)Google Scholar
- 11.Bernard, R., et al.: Experiments in model-based safety analysis: flight controls. In: First IFAC Workshop on Dependable Control of Discrete Systems, Cachan (2007), http://sites.google.com/site/pierrebieber/publications/DCDS07_FlightControlsModel_RB.pdf
- 12.Tiassou, K., Kaâniche, M., Kanoun, K., Seguin, C.: DIANA Operational Reliability — Modelling the Rudder System Using AltaRica and Stochastic Activity Networks, LAAS report No 11001Google Scholar
- 14.Ramesh, A., et al.: Advanced methodologies for average probability calculation for aerospace systems. In: 26th International Congress of the Aeronautical Sciences (2008)Google Scholar
- 15.Tiassou, K., Kanoun, K., Kaâniche, M., Seguin, C., Papadopoulos, C.: Operational Reliability of an Aircraft with Adaptive Missions. In: Proceedings of the 13th European Workshop on Dependable Computing - EWDC 2011, p. 9 (2011)Google Scholar