EEDBR: Energy-Efficient Depth-Based Routing Protocol for Underwater Wireless Sensor Networks
- 889 Downloads
Recently, Underwater Wireless Sensor Networks (UWSNs) have attracted much research attention from both academia and industry, in order to explore the vast underwater environment. However, designing network protocols is challenging in UWSNs since UWSNs have peculiar characteristics of large propagation delay, high error rate, low bandwidth and limited energy. In UWSNs, improving the energy efficiency is one of the most important issues since the replacement of the batteries of such nodes is very expensive due to harsh underwater environment. Hence, in this paper, we propose an energy efficient routing protocol, named EEDBR (Energy-Efficient Depth Based Routing protocol) for UWSNs. Our proposed protocol utilizes the depth of the sensor nodes for forwarding the data packets. Furthermore, the residual energy of the sensor nodes is also taken into account in order to improve the network life-time. Based on the comprehensive simulation using NS2, we observe that our proposed routing protocol contributes to the performance improvements in terms of the network lifetime, energy consumption and end-to-end delay.
KeywordsUnderwater wireless sensor networks routing network life-time residual energy
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Heidemann, J., Ye, W., Wills, J., Syed, A., Li, Y.: Research Challenges and Applications for Underwater Sensor Networking. In: IEEE Wireless Communications and Networking Conference, Las Vegas USA, pp. 228–235 (2006)Google Scholar
- 2.Xie, P., Cui, J.-H., Lao, L.: VBF: Vector-based forwarding protocol for underwater sensor networks. In: IFIP Networking 2006, Portugal, pp. 1216–1221 (2006)Google Scholar
- 3.Nicolaou, N., See, A., Xie, P.: Improving the robustness of location-based routing for Underwater Sensor networks. In: OCEANS 2007, Europe, pp. 1–6 (2007)Google Scholar
- 4.Jornet, M., Stojanovic, M., Zorzi, M.: Focused beam routing protocol for underwater acoustic networks. In: Third ACM Workshop on Underwater Networks (WUWNet 2008), San Francisco, pp. 75–82 (2008)Google Scholar
- 5.Hwang, D., Kim, D.: DFR: Directional flooding-based routing protocol for underwater sensor networks. In: OCEANS 2008, Quebec City Canada, pp. 1–7 (2008)Google Scholar
- 6.Yan, H., Shi, Z., Cui, J.: DBR: Depth-based Routing for Underwater Sensor Networks. In: IFIP Networking 2008, Singapore, pp. 16–1221 (2008)Google Scholar
- 7.Ayaz, M., Abdullah, A.: Hop-by-Hop Hop Dynamic Addressing Based (H2-DAB) Routing Protocol for Underwater Wireless Sensor Networks. In: IEEE International Conference on Information and Multimedia Technology (ICIMT 2009), Jeju Island Korea, pp. 436–441 (2009)Google Scholar
- 8.Llor, J., Torres, E., Garrido, P., Malumbres, M.: Analyzing the Behavior of Acoustic Link Models in Underwater Wireless Sensor Networks. In: 4th ACM Workshop on Performance Monitoring, Measurement and Evaluation of Heterogeneous Wireless and Wired Networks (PM2HW2N 2009), Canary Island Spain, pp. 9–16 (2009)Google Scholar
- 9.Shin, D., Kim, D.: A dynamic NAV determination protocol in 802.11 based underwater networks. In: IEEE International Symposium on Wireless Communication Systems (ISWCS 2008), Reykjavik Iceland, pp. 401–405 (2008)Google Scholar