Time Slot Assignment Algorithm in WSNs to Reduce Collisions
Existing hybrid MAC in wireless sensor networks (WSNs) is to combine TDMA and CSMA MAC techniques to adapt sensor nodes into the environment from low contention state to high contention state. It operates in pure CSMA mode when the traffic requirement is comparably low in WSN. On the other hand, as the sensor data is generated in high rate, hybrid MAC is shifted to TDMA-based operation. The main advantage of pure TDMA is no collision among nodes with pre-allocation of each time slot. Every time slot is allocated to nodes in need and it is owned only by pre-allocated node. Non-owner node may not use any other time slots that are not allocated to it. We propose new time slot assignment method to assign every empty slot to nodes which are not in need currently. Even though they are not in need now, the sensor nodes may get more data to send in some time later. In that case, if more time slots were allocated to nodes in advance, the owner nodes can get empty slots to send without contention resulting of reduction in collision and increase in overall traffic throughput.
KeywordsSensor Network MAC protocol Time slot
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Ye, W., Heidemann, J., Estring, D.: An Energy-Efficient MAC Protocol for Wireless Sensor Networks. In: IEEE INFOCOM 2002, pp. 1567–1576 (2002)Google Scholar
- 2.Dam, T., Langendoen, K.: An Adaptive Energy-Sufficient MAC Protocol for Wireless Sensor Networks. In: ACM SenSys 2003 (November 2003)Google Scholar
- 3.Polastre, J., Hill, J., Culler, D.: Versatile Low Power Media Access for Wireless Sensor Networks. In: ACM SenSys 2004 (November 2004)Google Scholar
- 4.El-Houydi, A.: Spatial TDMA and CSMA with Preamble Sampling for Low Power Ad Hoc Wireless Sensor Networks. In: ISCC 2002, pp. 685–692 (July 2002)Google Scholar
- 5.Rhee, I., Warrier, A., Aia, M., Min, J.: Z-MAC: a Hybrid MAC for Wireless Sensor Networks. In: Proc. of 3rd ACM Conference on Embedded Networked Sensor Systems(SenSys 2005) (November 2005)Google Scholar
- 6.Rhee, I., Warrier, A., Xu, L.: Randomized dining philosophers to TDMA scheduling in wireless sensor networks. Technical report, Computer Science Department, North Carolina State University, Raleigh, NC (2004)Google Scholar
- 7.Salajegheh, M., Soroush, H., Kalis, A.: HyMAC: Hybrid TDMA/FDMA Medium Access Control Protocol for Wireless Sensor Networks. In: IEEE International Symposium on Personal, Indoor and Mobile Radio Communications, PIMRC 2007 (2007)Google Scholar
- 8.CC2420 2.4 GHz IEEE 802.15.4 / ZigBee ready RF Transceiver, http://www.chipcon.com