Temporal Analysis of Biometric Template Update Procedures in Uncontrolled Environment
Self-update and co-update algorithms are aimed at gradually adapting biometric templates to the intra-class variations. These update techniques have been claimed to be effective in capturing variations occurring in medium time period but no experimental evaluations have been done in the literature to clearly show this fact. The aim of this paper is the analysis and comparison of these update techniques on the sequence of input batch of samples as available over time, specifically, in the time-span of 1.5 years. Effectiveness of these techniques have been compared in terms of capability to capture significant intra-class variations and the attained performance improvement, over time. Experiments are carried out on DIEE multi-modal dataset, explicitly collected for this aim. This dataset is publicly available by contacting the authors.
KeywordsBiometrics Face Fingerprint Self-update Co-update
- 1.Jain, A.K., Flynn, P., Ross, A.: Handbook of Biometrics. Springer, Heidelberg (2007)Google Scholar
- 2.Ross, A., Nandakumar, K., Jain, A.K.: Handbook of Multibiometrics. Springer, Heidelberg (2006)Google Scholar
- 3.Ling, H., Soatto, S., Ramanathan, N., Jacobs, D.: A study of face recognition as people age. In: Proc. 11th IEEE Int. Conf. on Computer Vision, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, vol. 2688, pp. 1–8 (2007)Google Scholar
- 7.Rattani, A., Marcialis, G.L., Roli, F.: Capturing arge intra-class variations of biometric data by template coupdate. In: Proc. of IEEE Computer Society Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition Workshops, Anchorage, Alaska, USA, pp. 1–6 (2008)Google Scholar
- 8.Diee multimodal database, http://prag.diee.unica.it/pra/eng/home