Charging Algorithm for Quality-Based VoIP Charging Mechanism
Recently, many companies are moving from PSTN to packet-switched networks as it provides easier access to voice communication anywhere in the world. VoIP Quality is one of the important problems service providers want to solve as providing QoS guarantees in VoIP applications becomes more challenging in wireless and mobile networks. In this paper, we used a methodology of Listening and Rate-Opinion Trial (LRT) in order to define the burst boundary, which enables users to identify if they are satisfied with their experiences in a short period of time. We derived the charging rate algorithm that can be used as a reference for calculating the “delivered packet amount”-based prices by observing the connection between PESQ MOS and the gap ratio for sex samples of both English and Korean. The connection of PESQ MOS and the gap ratio could be obtained by measuring the burst. The charging rate algorithm can be derived from the measured gap ratio.
KeywordsVoIP QoS Burst boundary Charging mechanism Gap ratio
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Simon, R.B.: VoIP quality assessment: taking account of the edge-device. IEEE Trans. Audio, Speech and Language Processing 11(14), 1977–1983 (2006)Google Scholar
- 2.Unuth, N.: VoIP Cons – VoIP Problems and Pitfalls, http://voip.about.com/od/voipbasics/a/voipproblems.htm
- 3.Takahashi, A., Yoshino, H., Kitawaki, N.: Perceptual QoS Assessment Technologies for VoIP. IEEE Communications Magazine, 28–34 (July 2004)Google Scholar
- 4.Friedman, T., Caceres, R., Clark, A.: RFC 3611: RTP Control Protocol Extended Reports (RTCP XR), pp. 26–29 (November 2003)Google Scholar
- 7.Jung, Y.C., William Atwood, J.: QoS-Related accounting architectures for VoIP services. In: Proceedings of The 20th International Technical Conference on Circuits/Systems, Computers and Communications (ITC-CSCC 2005), Jeju, Korea, July 4-7, vol. 4, pp. 1475–1476 (2005)Google Scholar
- 8.Sanchez, Y., Schierl, T., Hellge, C., Wiegand, T.: P2P Group Communication using scalable video coding, http://iphome.hhi.de/wiegand/assets/pdfs/ICIP10-p2pSVC.pdf
- 9.Communication Disorders Software. IEEE on Speech Intelligibility (1996), http://aac.unl.edu/reference/SITmanual.pdf
- 10.Hobfeld, T., Hock, D., Tran-Gia, P., Tutschku, K., Fiedler, M.: Testing the IQX hypothesis for exponential interdependency between QoS and QoE of voice vodecs iLBC and G.711. In: Proc. 18th ITC Specialist Seminar on Quality of Experience, Karlskrona, Sweden, pp. 105–114 (May 2008)Google Scholar