Modified Packet Scheduling Algorithm for Real-Time Service
In this paper analyzes various scheduling algorithms applied to multi-media streaming system for providing real-time service in Internet and proposed a scheduling algorithm that can meet the QoS requirements of delay-sensitive traffic and loss-sensitive traffic for specific services. First, the concept of QoS drafted from the recommendation of ITU-T is defined and the requirements for packet multiplexer in Internet are examined. Then the scheduling algorithm to satisfy various QoS based on functional architecture of packet multiplexer for streaming system bound to real-time service and QoS levels of input source traffic is designed. Finally, the performance of the algorithm is evaluated thru experiments that measure the packet loss and average delay time of the proposed algorithm.
KeywordsPacket Scheduling Algorithm QoS Multiplexer Real-time service Multi-media streaming
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Braden, R., Clack, D., Shenker, S.: Integrated Service in the internet Architecture: an Overview. RFC 1633 (June 1994)Google Scholar
- 2.Write, P.P.: RSVP and Integrated Services in the internet: A Tutorial. IEEE Communications Magazine, 100–106 (May 1997)Google Scholar
- 3.Chen, W.T., Huang, C.F., Ding, S.C.: A Scheme for QoS Control in ATM Switching Systems. J. of High Speed Networks, 221–236 (June 1997)Google Scholar
- 6.Ross, K.W., Biersack, E.: Topology Centric Lookup Service. In: 5th Int. Workshop Network Group Communications, NGC (2003)Google Scholar
- 9.Keshav, S.: REAL 5.0 Overview, http://www.cs.cornell.edu/skeshav/real/overview.html
- 10.Kurose, J.F., Ross, K.W.: Computer Networking. Addison Wesley, Reading (2009)Google Scholar