Transmission Power Based Source Routing Protocol for MANET with Unidirectional Links
In mobile ad-hoc networks, a communication link between two mobile computers is not always bi-directional, i.e., uni-directional, since the transmission power of mobile computers are not the same. Though some ad-hoc routing protocols, e.g., extended DSR (Dynamic Source Routing), support routing with unidirectional links, multiple flooding RREP are used and communication overhead is high. In this paper, we propose a new ad-hoc routing protocol based on DSR that supports unidirectional links in mobile ad-hoc networks. We use the neighborhood list of high transmission power node to detect the existence of unidirectional links and to transmit single unicast RREP. Our protocol achieves better performance than the extended DSR in such environments as having unidirectional links in terms of the number of required messages.
KeywordsUnidirectional link Ad Hoc Network Routing DSR
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Perkins, C.E., Bhagwat, P.: Highly Dynamic Destination-Sequenced Distance- Vector Routing (DSDV) for Mobile Computers. In: ACM SIGCOMM 1994, pp. 234–244 (1994)Google Scholar
- 3.Perkins, C.E., Belding-Royer, E.M.: Ad-hoc On-Demand Distance Vector Routing. In: WMCSA, pp. 100–910. IEEE Computer Society, Los Alamitos (1999)Google Scholar
- 4.Park, V.D., Corson, M.S.: Temporally-Ordered Routing Algorithm (TORA) version 1 functional specification. IETF Internet Draft, draft-ietf-manet-tora-spec-04.txt (July 2001)Google Scholar
- 5.Jetcheva, J.G., Johnson, D.B.: Routing characteristics of ad hoc networks with unidirectional links. Ad Hoc Networks, 303–325 (2006)Google Scholar
- 6.AlAmri, H., Abolhasan, M., Wysocki, T.A.: Scalability of MANET routing protocols for heterogeneous and homogenous networks. Computers & Electrical Engineering, 752–765 (2010)Google Scholar
- 7.Johnson, D.B., Maltz, D.A., Hu, Y.-C.: The Dynamic Source Routing Protocol for Mobile Ad Hoc Networks. Internet Draft, draftietf-manet-dsr-10.txt (July 2004)Google Scholar
- 8.Higaki, H.: LBSR: Routing Protocol for MANETs with Unidirectional Links. In: WiMob (2007)Google Scholar
- 9.Morino, H., Miyoshi, T., Ogawa, M.: Ad hoc unidirectional routing protocol based on relay control of route requests. In: ISADS (2005)Google Scholar
- 10.Morino, H., Miyoshi, T., Ogawa, M.: Unidirectional Ad Hoc Routing Protocol with Area-controlled Flooding Using Overheard Neighbor Node Information. In: ISADS (2007)Google Scholar
- 11.Ramasubramanian, V., Mosse, D.: Statistical Analysis of Connectivity in Unidirectional Ad Hoc Networks. In: Proceedings of the International Conference on Parallel Processing Workshops (ICPPW), pp. 109–111 (2002)Google Scholar
- 12.Glomosim scalable simulation environment for wireless and wired network systems, http://pcl.cs.ucla.edu/projects/glomosim/