Utilizing Intelligent Middleware for Reconfiguration of Applications on Android
The recent technological advances in mobile communication and handheld devices transform the existing mobile phones to powerful computers with variety of functionalities and capabilities. This evolution has led to development of advanced applications such as maps and navigation, social networking, enhanced games, and many more which can be utilized by thesephones. However, these smartphoneshave several limitations such as, limited energy, memory and processing power. These constraints limit the ability of thesephones for performing complex tasks, or computationally intensive tasks at a constant level of performance for thesephonesto match the users’ desires. Therefore, in this paper we develop an intelligent middleware to enhance the capabilities of these handheld devices. This middleware allows the device to switch applications from executing locally to executing remotely.
KeywordsEmulator Fault tolerance Simple object access protocol Surrogate computing
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Google Inc. Android developer’s guide, http://developer.android.com/guide/basics/what-is-android.html
- 2.Simple Object Application Protocol (SOAP), http://www.networkworld.com/details/531.html
- 3.Erl, T.: SOA Principles of Service Design. Prentice Hall/Pearson PTR, London (2007) ISBN: 0132344823Google Scholar
- 4.Using ksoap2 for android (SOAP Web Service), http://www.android10.org/index.php/articleslibraries/167-using-ksoap2-for-android-soap-web-service
- 5.Web Service Description Language, http://www.w3.org/TR/wsdl
- 6.Murarasu, A.F., Magendanz, T.: Mobile Middleware Solution for Automatic Reconfiguration of Applications. In: Sixth International Conference of Information Technology: New Generations, pp. 1049–1055 (2009)Google Scholar
- 7.Apache Axis2/Java, http://axis.apache.org/axis2/java/core/index.html
- 8.Apple, “Apps for iPhone”, http://www.apple.com/iphone/apps-for-iphone/
- 10.Ashmore, S., Makki, S.K.: IMISSAR: An Intelligent, Mobile Middleware Solution for Secure Automatic Reconfiguration of Applications, Utilizing a Feature Model Approach. In: Proceedings of the 5th International Conference on Ubiquitous Information Management and Communication (ACM SIGKDD-SIGAPP ICUIMC 2011), Seoul, Korea, February 21-23 (2011)Google Scholar
- 11.Satyanarayanan, M.: Fundamental Challenges in Mobile Computing. In: Proceedings of Fifteenth Annual ACM Symposium on Principles of Distributed Computing, pp. 1–7 (1996)Google Scholar