Distance Measurement in Middle Ear Surgery Using a Telemanipulator
In this article, a new tool for the intraoperative measurement of distances within the middle ear by means of a micromanipulator is presented. The purpose of this work was to offer the surgeon a highly accurate tool for measuring the distances between two points in the 3D operational field. The tool can be useful in various operations; this article focuses, however, on measuring the distance between the stapes footplate and the long process of the incus of the middle ear. This distance is important for estimating the proper prosthesis length in stapedotomy for treating otosclerosis. We evaluated the system using a simplified mechanical model. Our results show that the system can measure distances with a maximum error of 0.04 mm.
KeywordsMiddle Ear Surgery Telemanipulator Stapedotomy Measurement
- 1.Strauss, G., Hipp, S., Fischer, M., Hofer, M., Munz, F., Dietz, A., Strauss, M., Lüth, T.: Intraoperative volumetry in ENT surgery. Objectivation of Surgical Success by the Volume Control System. HNO 58, 839–845 (2010)Google Scholar
- 2.Theissing, J., Rettinger, G., Werner, J.A.: ENT-Head and Neck Surgery: Essential Procedures. Thieme Medical Pub. (2010)Google Scholar
- 3.Edelstein, D.R.: Revision Stapedectomy and Stapedotomy. Thieme (2008)Google Scholar
- 7.Maier, T., Strauss, G., Hofer, M., Kraus, T., Runge, A., Stenzel, R., Berger, T., Dietz, A., Lueth, T.C.: A New Micromanipulator System for Middle Ear Surgery. In: IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation, pp. 1568–1573 (2010)Google Scholar
- 11.Tokuda, J., Fischer, G.S., Papademetris, X., Yaniv, Z., Ibanez, L., Cheng, P., Liu, H., Blevins, J., Arata, J., Golby, A.J., Kapur, T., Pieper, S., Burdette, E.C., Fichtinger, G., Tempany, C.M., Hata, N.: OpenIGTLink: an open network protocol for image-guided therapy environment. The International Journal of Medical Robotics and Computer Assisted Surgery 5, 423–434 (2009)CrossRefGoogle Scholar