Towards Real-Time 3D US to CT Bone Image Registration Using Phase and Curvature Feature Based GMM Matching
In order to use pre-operatively acquired computed tomography (CT) scans to guide surgical tool movements in orthopaedic surgery, the CT scan must first be registered to the patient’s anatomy. Three-dimensional (3D) ultrasound (US) could potentially be used for this purpose if the registration process could be made sufficiently automatic, fast and accurate, but existing methods have difficulties meeting one or more of these criteria.We propose a near-real-time US-to-CT registration method that matches point clouds extracted from local phase images with points selected in part on the basis of local curvature. The point clouds are represented as Gaussian Mixture Models (GMM) and registration is achieved by minimizing the statistical dissimilarity between the GMMs using an L2 distance metric. We present quantitative and qualitative results on both phantom and clinical pelvis data and show a mean registration time of 2.11 s with a mean accuracy of 0.49 mm.
KeywordsUS-CT registration point cloud matching local phase features curvature Gaussian mixture model registration
- 4.Kowal, J., Amstutz, C., Langlotz, F., Talib, H., Ballester, M.G.: Automated Bone Contour Detection in Ultrasound B-mode Images for Minimally Invasive Registration in Computer Assisted Surgery an in Vitro Evaluation. The International Journal of Medical Robotics and Computer Assisted Surgery 3(4), 341–348 (2007)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 8.Gill, S., Abolmaesumi, P., Fichtinger, G., Boisvert, J., Pichora, D., Borshneck, D., Mousavi, P.: Biomechanically Constrained Groupwise Ultrasound to CT Registration of the Lumbar Spine. Medical Image Analysis (August 2010) (in press)Google Scholar
- 9.Hacihaliloglu, I., Abugharbieh, R., Hodgson, A.J., Rohling, R.: Bone segmentation and fracture detection in ultrasound using 3D local phase features. In: Metaxas, D., Axel, L., Fichtinger, G., Székely, G. (eds.) MICCAI 2008, Part I. LNCS, vol. 5241, pp. 287–295. Springer, Heidelberg (2008)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 10.Gray, A.: Modern Differential Geometry of Curves and Surfaces with Mathematica, Boca Raton, FL, pp. 373–380 (1997)Google Scholar
- 11.Jian, B., Vemuri, B.: Robust Point Set Registration Using Gaussian Mixture Models. IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence (2011)Google Scholar