Investigating the Use of Object-Oriented Design Patterns in Open-Source Software: A Case Study
- 582 Downloads
During the last decade open source software communities are thriving. Nowadays, several open source projects are so popular that are considered as a standard in their domain. Additionally, the amount of source code that is freely available to developers, offer great reuse opportunities. One of the main concerns of the reuser is the quality of the code that is being reused. Design patterns are well known solutions that are expected to enhance software quality. In this paper we investigate the extent to which object-oriented design patterns are used in open-source software, across domains.
KeywordsOpen source software Design patterns Empirical study
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Ampatzoglou, A., Charalampidou, S., Savva, K., Stamelos, I.: An empirical study on design pattern employment in open-source software. In: 5th Working Conference on the Evaluation of Novel Approaches in Software Engineering, pp. 275–284. INSTICC, Athens (2010)Google Scholar
- 7.Chatzigeorgiou, A.: Object-Oriented Design: UML, Principles, Patterns and Heuristics, 1st edn. Kleidarithmos, Athens (2005)Google Scholar
- 9.Feller, J., Fitzgerald, B.: Understanding open source software development, 1st edn. Addison-Wesley Longman, Boston (2002)Google Scholar
- 10.Gamma, E., Helms, R., Johnson, R., Vlissides, J.: Design Patterns: Elements of Reusable Object-Oriented Software, 1st edn. Addison-Wesley Professional, Reading (1995)Google Scholar
- 15.McShaffry, M.: Game Coding Complete. Paraglyph Press, Arizona (2003)Google Scholar
- 19.Sowe, S.K., Angelis, L., Stamelos, I., Manolopoulos, Y.: Using Repository of Repositories (RoRs) to Study the Growth of F/OSS Projects: A Meta-Analysis Research Approach. In: OSS 2007, Open Source Software Conference, pp. 147–160. Springer, Limerick (2007)Google Scholar
- 22.Wendorff, P.: Assessment of Design Patterns during Software Reengineering: Lessons Learned from a Large Commercial Project. In: 5th European Conference on Software Maintenance and Reengineering, CSMR 2001, pp. 77–84. IEEE Computer Society, Lisbon (2001)Google Scholar